Three Seas Forum

the archives

dusted off in read-only

•  

Gay marriage: for or against its legalization in the US? posted 17 February 2005 in Off-Topic DiscussionGay marriage: for or against its legalization in the US? by Echoex, Auditor

"King Ralph and his goons are trying to find a way to shift marriage licences wholly over to the realm of the Church to take away the effect of the federal government saying that marriage is constituted only by them — and they say gay marriage is legal."

The state of matrimony is a purely religious institution. I'm not defending it -- I assure you. I'm a devote aetheist. It wasn't until the last couple of centuries that marriage became a government institution and it was done for three major reasons:

1) It was a great way to ensure that people weren't having little bastard children.
2) It was a great way for the government to register people once they reached the 'age of reason' (as though reason and marriage have any business hanging out together).
3) The Church refused to grant people divorces (divorce is a sin), and marriages can't be annulled once they've been consumated. The government recognized this as a threat to the the Charter of Rights and Freedoms, so effectively began granting divorces (in the eyes of the law).

In fact, if I recall correctly, one of the first few divorces granted in Canada was done as a favour when a high-ranking government official wanted to marry another man's wife.

So it would be more correct to say that Ralph Klein is trying to force the statutories of marriage BACK onto the Church.

As for my position on this issue: Let gays marry. Everyone should have to suffer the fates of the wedded. view post

•  

The Three Seas Forum archives are hosted and maintained courtesy of Jack Brown