Three Seas Forum

the archives

dusted off in read-only

•  

Is the idea of a "god" inherent in our minds? posted 10 September 2004 in Philosophy DiscussionIs the idea of a "god" inherent in our minds? by Alric, Auditor

Quote: "Cu'jara Cinmoi":wz4vgbj2

I realize this must sound horribly cynical, Alric, but the problems with intelligent design really are profound.[/quote:wz4vgbj2]

Cynical, not at all. Critical, absolutely. And I find nothing wrong with that. As I said above, I didn't offer Intelligent Design as a rebuff of Evolution, but simply as an example of elements of the scientific community engaging in the very exercise that you called one of science's true strengths, critical self-evaluation.

Your critique of Intelligent Design, as far as I can tell, is mostly valid. I am not a scientist, and would never claim a special knowledge or understanding of the finer details of any of the scientific fields. I am a historian and a reader of diverse materials, which is more than enough to keep me busy. Whatever you want to term it, Intelligent Design, is being studied and even furthered by predominantly non-Christian sources. Now, that certainly doesn't limit the level of idealism many of those indivduals probably have.

As much as I know about Intelligent Design Theory, and admittedly it isn't much more than a simple survey of major points, it does revolve around the issue of complexity. There are a great many specifics in that search, complex proteins, fossil explosion, DNA/RNA functionality and information load. But that is neither here nor there. As I said, I did not offer ID as a thing to be believed, merely as sidenote. I am much more familiar and comfortable with discussions of evolution. Though, as I see it, a definite and not specifically related tangent to the question at hand.

Oh, and nice to "meet" you, Scott. view post

•  

The Three Seas Forum archives are hosted and maintained courtesy of Jack Brown