Three Seas Forum

the archives

dusted off in read-only

•  

Gay marriage: for or against its legalization in the US? posted 28 July 2004 in Off-Topic DiscussionGay marriage: for or against its legalization in the US? by legatus, Auditor

Quote: "Aldarion":1jb8rclm
Before I can be persuaded fully to be in favor of this, I want to see a complete overhaul of the custody system. Because if we have a situation in which there isn't an expected husband/wife duo, we better have a legal provision for how to divy up custody in case of divorce. Otherwise, all hell might break loose.[/quote:1jb8rclm]
I doubt all hell would break loose, as I imagine custody hearings could still be handled on a case by case basis, but I do agree that it would be wise to examine changes to as many related laws as possible when tackling the marriage issue.

There have been a few stumbling blocks in the wake of legalised gay marriage up here, for example, since related divorce laws weren't revised to coincide with the legalisation of gay marriage. The situation with a gay couple being allowed to get married but having trouble breaking things off if the marriage doesn't work out because divorce laws still speak in strict terms of a man and a woman could've been avoided had legalisation been more thoroughly handled in the first place.

I do worry that trying to be too inclusive when it comes to overhauling related laws may draw out the process to an unreasonable degree though. view post

•  

The Three Seas Forum archives are hosted and maintained courtesy of Jack Brown