Three Seas Forum

the archives

dusted off in read-only

•  

Is the idea of a "god" inherent in our minds? posted 05 July 2007 in Philosophy DiscussionIs the idea of a "god" inherent in our minds? by Tar.Aldarion, Candidate

Quote: "avatar_of_existence":kyise303

You are leaving out the millions of people who do believe that all gods worshipped are one god (an idea that's been growing since the early 1900's), and that would explain how all these people have a personal relationship with 'their' gods. Us and Them is a myth, we are all human beings operating on the same level living on the same ball of water and dirt.[/quote:kyise303]
People may believe that all gods are the one god, so that all gods in each religion are just the same god. This also makes no sense, as all these religions contradict each other and many of them mention that one should not follow any other religion or idol.
That is why that view is not tenable, how can two people both have a personal relationship with this one god where one god says adultery is not a sin and one says it should be punished by stoning to death? There are thousands of such inconsistencies.

I believe that there are mysteries out there that science will never explain, Paradoxes is the word you used.

I used paradox for the term god and it applies, no such thing could exist for me.
What things in particular do you think science can not explain? Big bang, creation, multiple universes?
You have to understand that science can prove nothing, it attempts to model things accurately and disregards solipsism.

I believe it takes more to look at the paradoxes in the world straight in the eye than to throw them out the window as 'superstition' which is what I believe you are doing here.

That sentence makes no sense. I don't know what you think paradox means so I'm rather confused.

You don't worship anything? I say that is impossible. Life itself is worship of existence, your every waking movement is worship. Okay, so worship is not the word you would use, but why not? because Christians use it? then it is true, your beliefs are defined by christianity.

This also makes no sense. Why would I not use a word because other people use it? I use words according to their definition, so I worship nothing. Why would my every living moment be 'worship'? I equate a sentence like that to somebody that says they know their god exists by looking at a child smile and it's beauty.

There are mysteries we will never understand (I know this is true for at least my generation and those in the past). Faith is having the courage to accept that. And there are definitely ups and downs to that acceptance, especially when it prohibits science from breaking through (Galileo comes to mind). Still, life is more fun when you're the one in charge, and so if you hear voices in your head and want to call it God, I say, more power to you.

Faith is having the courage to accept we will never understand everything??
In what sense are you using faith?
I understand that we can not know everything, I know just how ignorant humans are, but that is not faith.

faith /feɪθ/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[feyth] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–noun
1. confidence or trust in a person or thing: faith in another's ability.
2. belief that is not based on proof: He had faith that the hypothesis would be substantiated by fact.
3. belief in God or in the doctrines or teachings of religion: the firm faith of the Pilgrims.
4. belief in anything, as a code of ethics, standards of merit, etc.: to be of the same faith with someone concerning honesty.
5. a system of religious belief: the Christian faith; the Jewish faith.
6. the obligation of loyalty or fidelity to a person, promise, engagement, etc.: Failure to appear would be breaking faith.
7. the observance of this obligation; fidelity to one's promise, oath, allegiance, etc.: He was the only one who proved his faith during our recent troubles.
8. Christian Theology. the trust in God and in His promises as made through Christ and the Scriptures by which humans are justified or saved.
—Idiom
9. in faith, in truth; indeed: In faith, he is a fine lad.
view post

•  

The Three Seas Forum archives are hosted and maintained courtesy of Jack Brown