Three Seas Forum

the archives

dusted off in read-only

•  

Is the idea of a "god" inherent in our minds? posted 13 May 2007 in Philosophy DiscussionIs the idea of a "god" inherent in our minds? by Randal, Auditor

Isn't that a bit like the "god of the gaps", though? Science goes to more and more places all the time.

For me, I don't "get" spirituality. What the hell is it? Utterly alien to me. If it believes in souls and such, I don't see much of a difference with religion. Okay, I see a difference... but they both seem part of the same thing to me. Or perhaps you could say religion is one way to express spirituality, whatever it is.

As for the "unexplainable"... it is just that. Unexplainable. Inserting souls in there or whatever to me makes no sense whatsoever. What's wrong with things being unexplainable? We're just limited humans with a few centuries of collective experience behind us, after all. Let it be unexplainable. Some we'll explain anyway, later, when we know more. Some will never be explained. Cannot be explained.

Would I rather know? Would I rather have an explanation? Of course I would. But an explanation that has no evidence for me is no explanation at all.

Science and spirtuality need not be enemies per-se, but neither need they be neighbours. Or aquintances. Or living in the same country. They're unrelated, as far as I can see, save where sciences proves certain specific "spiritual" claims wrong.

To go slightly back on topic... I would think that if people are born with the idea of religion, it's not all of them. I probably wasn't born with any at all. view post

•  

The Three Seas Forum archives are hosted and maintained courtesy of Jack Brown