Three Seas Forum

the archives

dusted off in read-only

•  

Esmet's betrayl, Bakker's massogeny, and a criticism posted 24 July 2006 in The Warrior ProphetEsmet's betrayl, Bakker's massogeny, and a criticism by alhana, Auditor

Huzzah to ressurecting old posts! I am new to the series, so the posts are all new to me!

As a female reader, I find nothing offensive about Bakker's references to the female characters or to his references to phallic symbols. Maybe I am just to navie to get worked up over a few penises.

I second the notion that one can focus on selected passages of any book and miss the whole story. In fact, I think we all know of "holy scriptures" of any world sect that has been "mis-quoted" and "taken out of context" to prompt a social view or prove a point of sin.

I suppose if one took this analogy far enough, one could find examples of "he-man woman hating" and "homoerotic references" in primer books for children. "Oh look, Dick is holding a stick. This author must be making a homosexual reference" "Oh Jane fell down and hurt her knee. This author must be saying that girls are weak and cry all the time."

It takes a small brain to get stuck on the words on the page. Elite readers appreciated skillful writing and can see the whole story for all of the glorious details. view post

•  

The Three Seas Forum archives are hosted and maintained courtesy of Jack Brown