Three Seas Forum

the archives

dusted off in read-only

•  

Best character posted 01 June 2006 in The Darkness That Comes BeforeBest character by alhana, Auditor

Esmi and Serwe~
As a woman, I always enjoy reading the stories of other women. This book has intruiged me as I have read about these women not only as they see themselves, but as the male characters see them and interact with them. All of this is even more fascinating when considered from the standpoint of the author of these thoughts also being a man.

I think the endearing and even heartbreaking parts are to read about the power of these women have through their souls and bodies, even when they are in complete submission. In discussing this with a male friend, I pointed out that when one has no rights, one's body and sex becomes the last protection of one's position, even when that is taken forceably. Utilizing their bodies and their feminine mystic, they shape the lives of the men in their world and ensuring their own survival as well as pull unseen strings of power that many of the men never see. Only Kellhus is completely aware of the power of Serwe, even though he eventually conceeds to engage her, for other unknown reasons at this point in the story.

The parts about the women in this book reminds me in many ways of Memoirs of a Geisha that I read last December; that author was also male but was able to capture the essence of being a woman and the experience of female within a pre-dominately male ruled society. view post

•  

The Three Seas Forum archives are hosted and maintained courtesy of Jack Brown