Three Seas Forum

the archives

dusted off in read-only

•  

Open review - Prince of Nothing vol 1 posted 10 October 2005 in ReviewsOpen review - Prince of Nothing vol 1 by Artful, Candidate

((Sorry about the double post, missed this forum somehow.))

Hi. I've recently read the first book in the series, and as is my habit I give an honest review.

This book almost seems to belong in a different era. It reminds me heavily of my grandfather's collection of Conan and Tarzan novels. In this book there is less of a sense of the mythical traditions of Lucas and Tolkien and a return to the idealism of the individual. The individual moves history, and the individual is great or terrible and allows noone to judge him.

This book also relies heavily on the male-dominated ideology of books written prior to the 1960s. The relationships of primary impact are between men, many with homosexual overtones. Only four of the major named characters are female, and they number among them an aging seductress, an abused wife, a camp follower, and a prostitute. Each of these is heavily defined by how the males in their life dominate and affect them. All that's missing is the Islamic-analouge harem girls getting turned on by being whipped.

That being said, such representations are probably accurate to the era, and there are many examples of females being proactive in their own fates. It's not a total wash, but you're walking a very fine line with the obscene.

On top of all this, the title character, Kellhus, presents as a complete sociopath. Almost every time I see him talk I get forcible flashbacks of Anthony Hopkins' famous line, "Are the lambs still screaming, Clarisse?" In a way, it's extemely disappointing that so few of the characters see through him. And given the foreword to the book, it's disappointing to see such blatent sociopathy being held up as 'heroic' behavior.

Of course I realize that heroic in this context doesn't mean good, as anyone who knows something about the Crusades realizes when they hear the characters discuss their own Holy War.

On the whole, I find this to be a remarkable constrained and coherent work of dark fantasy. However, this leaves you with something of a contradiction. The only room for growth, it would seem, is deeper and more elaborate darkness. Already you're gazing pretty hard into the abyss, and I wouldn't want to see you fall.

I'll stick around for a while if anyone wants to further respond. view post

Open review - Prince of Nothing vol 1 posted 09 February 2006 in ReviewsOpen review - Prince of Nothing vol 1 by Inner_visions, Candidate

Lol. '

The only room for growth, it would seem, is deeper and more elaborate darkness. Already you're gazing pretty hard into the abyss, and I wouldn't want to see you fall.

You predicted it pretty well. view post

•  

The Three Seas Forum archives are hosted and maintained courtesy of Jack Brown