Three Seas Forum

the archives

dusted off in read-only

•  

Narative Styles posted 22 August 2005 in Writing TipsNarative Styles by Kidruhil Lancer, Auditor

Gah!

More problems from me. ( Since my first post on this forum, I have switched book ideas three times, and finally settled on one that I think I'll actually stick to.)

So! My latest area of need..

Points of view.

I've discovered through writing that I'm not very good at writing a decent pov for a character. I'm fairly good at describing their surroundings and the characters around them, but I fall short in that, I usually forget to write the character's thoughts and emotions. And even when I do, it doesn't turn out quite right.

It's not that I don't know what the character is thinking or feeling. On the contrary, I know all of my characters, (even the minor ones), inside and out. Where I run into a snag is when I try to write that character's thoughts and emotions from their pov. I find when writing that usually tend to write autonomously (sp?). I describe the action, the dialogue, even characters emotions and expressions... but I write it as if I'm an outside observer who isn't particularly attached to any one character. ( As opposed to focusing on one character pov. )

Does this work as a writing method? Or will people not feel as connected to my characters if I don't ever "get inside the characters head"? view post

Narative Styles posted 01 February 2006 in Writing TipsNarative Styles by rycanada, Peralogue

It works. Thousands of American authors use it. I personally prefer a more tied-to-character kind of narrative... (hmm... could I be referring to R. Scott Bakker's?) but it's nothing to feel you have to break yourself of - and it certainly shouldn't stop or slow your writing. view post

•  

The Three Seas Forum archives are hosted and maintained courtesy of Jack Brown