the archives

dusted off in read-only

•  

Coldfire Trilogy posted 28 Jul 2005, 01:07 by Regulus, Commoner

Just wondering if anybody out there has read these, I really enjoyed them. [b:19m00810]Coldfire Trilogy by C.S. Friedmen[/b:19m00810] [i:19m00810]Black Sun Rising [/i:19m00810] [i:19m00810]When True Night Falls[/i:19m00810] [i:19m00810]Crown of Shadows[/i:19m00810] view post

posted 28 Jul 2005, 11:07 by Echoex, Auditor

I read Black Sun Rising and When True Night Falls. I thought the books were [i:2kbeyi5f]okay[/i:2kbeyi5f], but the plots seemed too contrived...too put-together to serve the needs of the character's actions (rather than the other way around). I wish I could cite specific references, but it's been a while since I read them. Overall, the inclusion of the 'fae' does two things: - creates a reason for magic, which few books in the fantasy literature genre do. - makes solutions too...too solvable. So I'm torn on this topic. The series has a lot of great imagery, though, and Tarrant is definitely a character that rivals Kellhus in his intricacies. I'm not disappointed that I spent the time reading these books. I might even read Crown of Shadows should I get the chance. But I'm not rushing out to tell my friends about this one, either. view post

posted 28 Jul 2005, 15:07 by Regulus, Commoner

I thought the 'fae' and its interaction with the environment was quite different from anything I had read before. Its been about a year since I read them so I cant recall any instances which I thought the world was made to fit their needs. I picked the series up because a friend suggested it to me when we were discussing how most 'good' vs 'evil' books always end with a victory for 'good'. He told me that Coldfire's ending was something different and after reading it I agree. I would definitely recommend reading the last book. Tarrant and Kellhus are in a league of their own. view post

posted 29 Jul 2005, 01:07 by AjDeath, Didact

I thought the Cold Fire Trilogy was good when I read them, still do. Tarrant was a decent enough character, the "hero" was pretty crappy though. Also, it seemed it was lacking something. view post

posted 29 Jul 2005, 12:07 by Echoex, Auditor

I agree. Vryce was too namby-pamby. He needed more of an edge to compete with Tarrant. I also thought the books got a little preachy at points; When True Night Falls more than the other (I only read the first and second books). Oddly, I say this as I flip through my copy of Irving's [i:2coilams]A Prayer for Owen Meany[/i:2coilams]. view post

posted 03 Aug 2005, 06:08 by Cynical Cat, Auditor

I didn't like the ending of the last book. The [size=9:2wjp74ab] complete change in the way human interact with the fae do to the sacrifice of one untutored adept in a land where there are hundreds of practicing adepts, not to mention sorcerers. Too little going against too much. [/size:2wjp74ab] Other than that, I liked it. view post

posted 08 Aug 2005, 00:08 by saintjon, Auditor

I liked them all, but the third book was the best IMO. A very emotional story IMO, and a great concept for a villain. view post

posted 29 Mar 2006, 01:03 by glaz, Peralogue

just got the coldfire trilogy from amazon today. :D very much intrigued by what people say to Tarrant. that, and we got the same first name. :D (pretty lame, isn't it?) gonna read it after PoN... view post

posted 29 Mar 2006, 04:03 by Entropic_existence, Moderator

I enjoyed the Coldire Trilogy when I read it, it's definitly well thought out and had some nice plot elements. Not the best writing in retrospect but an enjoyable read, and that is all that matters. view post

posted 02 Apr 2006, 03:04 by glaz, Peralogue

i might have a problem with this, though, because i've decided to read this after PoN, so as not to break story continuation. and that's the problem in itself, coz i might make PoN as a sort of standard when i read Coldfire... view post

posted 02 Apr 2006, 13:04 by Entropic_existence, Moderator

It's a completely different style of fantasy and writing. I try and approach each new book like that, that it is different. There will always be books and authors that are superior but I don't make them the "standard" on which to base other authors and writing because they are above average rather than the average. If I didn't don this I would never enjoy anything I don't think. It's the same thing I do with movies that are adaptations of books I enjoy, watch it as a movie based on a story I like that way you aren't nitpicking everything they had to change. view post

posted 02 Apr 2006, 14:04 by glaz, Peralogue

[quote="Entropic_existence":373p2v0f]It's the same thing I do with movies that are adaptations of books I enjoy, watch it as a movie based on a story I like that way you aren't nitpicking everything they had to change.[/quote:373p2v0f] i do the same in watching movies. im of the mind that in books, you have limitless resources as to how to make your world. while in movies, everything you find limitless in books are all cut short by budget constraints, time, acting, etc. on books, however, there'll always be this nagging feeling that makes you feel that one has "come up short" although since it's of a different style, that feeling, i hope won't be there as much view post

•  

The Three Seas Forum archives are hosted and maintained courtesy of Jack Brown.