Three Seas Forum

the archives

dusted off in read-only

•  

Local Writing Groups posted 23 June 2005 in Author Q & ALocal Writing Groups by SymeonHaecceity, Peralogue

Hi Scott!

I was wondering if you knew about any good writing support/critique groups in the London area. If so, please let me know! view post

Local Writing Groups posted 27 June 2005 in Author Q & ALocal Writing Groups by Cu'jara Cinmoi, Author of Prince of Nothing

Sorry, SH. I'm sure they're out there, but I haven't the foggiest. All the workshopping I did in the day was online. view post

Local Writing Groups posted 27 June 2005 in Author Q & ALocal Writing Groups by Scilvenas, Auditor

Well, y'know, Chuck Palahniuk contributes to an on-line workshop... Of course, now the site's gone pay, and that sucks. But an R. Scott Bakker workshop would be incredible. I'd even submit my stuff (though considering how well the last time I submitted anything online went...).

Which leads me to a question: What do you call your style of writing? Do you see yourself on the advent of a new type of fantasy? If so, do you consider yourself in the vanguard? view post

Local Writing Groups posted 01 July 2005 in Author Q & ALocal Writing Groups by Cu'jara Cinmoi, Author of Prince of Nothing

I'm not sure how I would describe my style, understood in the narrow, more technical sense. I'm a 'dense' writer, I know that (in both senses of the word!).

More generally I see myself as part of a larger movement which is in the process of reconnecting popular culture to 'art.' I don't think I'm 'special' in this regard, though I do feel as though I've created something special with these books. They've felt 'bigger than me' for quite some time now.

The key for me is to make the literary answer to the generic, rather than vice versa. The way I see it, there's at least two ways to challenge readers: you can confound their expectations, or you can expand them. I'm trying hard to stay in the latter camp. view post

Local Writing Groups posted 01 July 2005 in Author Q & ALocal Writing Groups by saintjon, Auditor

When would you say this disconnection happened, Scott?

For me it was when the sculptors of the 1800s took all the hard-won freedoms Rodin took crap over all his career and made a bunch of publicly displayed wreckage after which THEY proceeded to dump on Rodin too. (I'm a little biased though, the guy's my all-time fave) view post

Local Writing Groups posted 06 July 2005 in Author Q & ALocal Writing Groups by Cu'jara Cinmoi, Author of Prince of Nothing

I think it started with the Enlightenment, generally, and the institutional entrenching of critical inquiry. Over time, this made European culture more and more self-conscious of the norms that governed artistic practices. It's hard to break a rule you don't realize you're following, and painfully easy to break a rule you know you're following. At some point, 'rule breaking' and 'originality' became conflated, and exploring the nuances of rule following fell by the wayside. As a result, the 'aesthetic high ground' became less and less accessible to the masses (because specialized training was required to follow the proliferation of new rules), and popular culture was stripped of an important part of its spark. view post

•  

The Three Seas Forum archives are hosted and maintained courtesy of Jack Brown