the archives

dusted off in read-only

•  

New Malazan Novel: Night of Knives by Ian Cameron Esslemont posted 22 Jun 2005, 17:06 by Alric, Auditor

So, have any of you been lucky enough to pick this book up yet? I finished reading it over the weekend, and I have to say that I was quite happy in my decision to shell out some money for it. As some of you know, Ian Cameron Esslemont is a friend of Erikson and is the co-creater of the Malazan world, along with some characters and story plotting. Years ago, Steve and Ian split up the world and the history. Steve got his 10 book arc and is writing a few novellas. Ian has 5 books planned. From the intro to the book written by Steve, he says that we should all know now why he hasn't written anything focused on the Crimson Guard. So, you can call me excited. The novella, or short novel really, weighs in at 284 pages, and covers about 12 hours of the day that Kellenved and Dancer are assassinated in Malaz City, the night Surly takes the imperial throne as Laseen... and a night where all hell breaks loose. The events take place several months after the very beginning of GotM, Paran's meeting Whiskeyjack atop Mock's Hold. The book is a quite and entertaining read, filled with action, interesting character, some insights and that truly great Malazan feel, which is an accomplishment since we're talking about a different author here. For a full review, click the link to my review at wotmania.com... [url:23kvh2zm]http://www.wotmania.com/fantasymessageboardshowmessage.asp?MessageID=130573[/url:23kvh2zm] view post

posted 23 Jun 2005, 15:06 by Arkmam, Candidate

I want it, but my wallet says no. Must obey... view post

posted 24 Jun 2005, 13:06 by Murrin, Peralogue

I ordered it, but I decided it wasn't worth the cost and cancelled the order. £35 is just too much for one book. view post

posted 28 Jun 2005, 17:06 by Alric, Auditor

It was quite expensive, especially for a 284 page book, but I get to have an impulse buy every once and a while. I'm sure the book will be published again, and not in a limited edition format just like Steven Erikson's novellas have. Of course, it might be a while before they are available again. I'm happy I spent the money because the story was a fun read. view post

posted 16 Jul 2005, 19:07 by Edge, Peralogue

I gritted my teeth and paid for it. I'll re-iterate what I said on the Malazan site. A good book, worth it if you can afford it, but not for Malazan beginners. You should read at least as far as House of Chains before you read NoK. You would still enjoy the book but would miss out on some of the plot nuances. view post

•  

The Three Seas Forum archives are hosted and maintained courtesy of Jack Brown.