Three Seas Forum

the archives

dusted off in read-only

•  

Memories of Ice - Steven Erikson posted 19 June 2005 in ReviewsMemories of Ice - Steven Erikson by Kidruhil Lancer, Auditor

Wow.

Between this book and Deadhouse Gates... if any book could make me cry it would be one of these two. Erikson just manages to attach so much tragic emotion to these stories. All centered around the Malazen soldiers. The Bridgeburners and the Chain of Dogs both are just... He spends the whole story making you love these characters. In the case of the Bridgeburners.. two stories. And then he starts to tear into them and writes it so beautifully that you just want to weep.

I swear I could feel my heart breaking right along with Dujek and Duiker for their fallen friends. And at the end of Memories of Ice.. the last words by Duiker just... sent chills up my spine knowing the story he would have to tell. I swear that's one of the most awesome endings for a book that I've read in a while. Right up there with Mr. Bakker's ending for the W-P.

Erikson has a supreme talent for weaving stories. Taking so many random events and points and then pulling them all back together at the end to form a tapestry of a story.

It was just... wow. view post

Memories of Ice - Steven Erikson posted 08 March 2006 in ReviewsMemories of Ice - Steven Erikson by Nuuance E'vaance, Commoner

He does tend to have the ability, for an "epic fantasy" writer, to pull at your hearstrings doesn't he? I consider him one of the more capable character builders I've read, and yet curiously, only with a very select few characters, namely some of the Bridgeburners.

Some of the more visually moving events that I've had the pleasure to partake of have been in this series. view post

•  

The Three Seas Forum archives are hosted and maintained courtesy of Jack Brown