the archives

dusted off in read-only

•  

Olympos by Dan Simmons... posted 02 Jun 2005, 21:06 by Alric, Auditor

So, I managed to get sent an advanced review copy of Dan Simmons forthcoming [i:2vdghass]Olympos[/i:2vdghass]. I'm about 200 pages in on the almost 700 page trade paperback. It is quite good. So far, the first section focuses primarily on the war around Ilium and Mount Olympus. The narrative has just switched to earth and the old-style humans. I'll post a full review when I finish up... probably by early next week. view post

posted 02 Jun 2005, 21:06 by Clarkesworld Books, Peralogue

I read a copy a little more than a month ago. (The perks of being a bookseller!) Excellent book. Simmon's continues to impress. -Neil view post

posted 03 Jun 2005, 17:06 by Alric, Auditor

You're a lucky man, Neil. I'm trying to get onto Advance Copy lists purely through my involvement in multiple web sites and a genre Blog. So far, I've managed a couple copies. Yes, Simmons can write a very good book. view post

posted 17 Jun 2005, 18:06 by Alric, Auditor

Well, I finally finished the book... posted a full review in the reviews section if you'd like to read my thoughts on the book. All in all, it was a pretty great book. I don't think that it's quite as good Ilium, but it's still a very satisfying read. All you Simmons fans should be happy. For those of you thinking about trying a new author... I'd certainly recommend Dan Simmons. If you're a scifi fan, start with Hyperion (followed by The Fall of Hyperion) or Ilium (followed by Olympos). If you're not a fan of scifi... Ilium is a book that has been enjoyed by a great many people who are not fans of scifi. So, there you go. view post

posted 18 Jun 2005, 16:06 by Edge, Peralogue

Finally got a copy of this. Looking forward to reading it. I really enjoyed Ilium. view post

•  

The Three Seas Forum archives are hosted and maintained courtesy of Jack Brown.