Three Seas Forum

the archives

dusted off in read-only

•  

Gates of Fire posted 02 June 2005 in Literature DiscussionGates of Fire by SymeonHaecceity, Peralogue

I wonder if anyone has read Steven Pressfield's "Gates of Fire". It's not a fantasy work, but historical - dealing with the battle of Thermopylae - but I have no doubt that fans of fantasy fiction would enjoy it very much. view post

Gates of Fire posted 02 June 2005 in Literature DiscussionGates of Fire by Alric, Auditor

It is an excellently written novel. As a historian and historical fiction writer, I have to say that Pressfield managed a true gem with this novel. The characters and action really manage to draw the readers in, as well as giving them just a small feel of what it would have been like to stand that narrow strip of land at Thermopylae. view post

Gates of Fire posted 06 June 2005 in Literature DiscussionGates of Fire by SymeonHaecceity, Peralogue

Quote: "Alric":2b9u9h2k
It is an excellently written novel. As a historian and historical fiction writer, I have to say that Pressfield managed a true gem with this novel. The characters and action really manage to draw the readers in, as well as giving them just a small feel of what it would have been like to stand that narrow strip of land at Thermopylae.[/quote:2b9u9h2k]

"Tides of War" is the only other one I liked. "Last of the Amazons" didn't hold me too closely, and I'm fearing that his newest book on Alexander the Great might be as good as the Oliver Stone movie. view post

Gates of Fire posted 16 July 2005 in Literature DiscussionGates of Fire by Edge, Peralogue

Gates of Fire is superb. A must-read for any fan of Ancient Greece. view post

Gates of Fire posted 28 July 2005 in Literature DiscussionGates of Fire by Regulus, Commoner

Very enjoyable and well written. The great thing about historical fiction is that it leaves you with the idea that, 'hey this could have happened'. There is a series by Jack Whyte called Camulod Chronicles that gives a historical fiction account of King Arthur which is pretty good also. view post

Gates of Fire posted 28 July 2005 in Literature DiscussionGates of Fire by target, Auditor

I haven't read it yet, but i can imagine its good. The Battle of Thermopylae is a very impressive battle and would definately make for an excelent story. I'll be sure to look at it.

I haven't read that Arthur stuff either, but i'm a little more pessimistic about that. I prefer the myth of Arthur, i'm not sucha fan of any 'truths' people try to read into it.

On the topic of historical fiction however, i enjoyed Cornwell's Grail Quest' Trilogy. I thought it a very good read. view post

Gates of Fire posted 03 August 2005 in Literature DiscussionGates of Fire by Cynical Cat, Auditor

Good stuff. Tides of War by Pressfield is also really good. view post

Gates of Fire posted 21 June 2006 in Literature DiscussionGates of Fire by Brys, Candidate

It's a great novel, my favourite of Pressfield's. Tides of War was very good as well, but I didn't find it paced quite as well as Gates of Fire. Last of the Amazons was ok, but not anything like as good as the other two. view post

Gates of Fire posted 14 September 2006 in Literature DiscussionGates of Fire by Scel, Candidate

Loved "Gates" and "Tides"...Amazons was a little too deprssing.

There were rumors years ago of Bruce Willis making a Movie based on Gates....but soon there will be a movie based on a graphic novel The 300.

From Apple's quicktime site "Based on the epic graphic novel by Frank Miller, 300 is a ferocious retelling of the ancient Battle of Thermopylae in which King Leonidas (Gerard Butler) and 300 Spartans fought to the death against Xerxes and his massive Persian army. Facing insurmountable odds, their valor and sacrifice inspire all of Greece to unite."

They have updates and stuff. I would of prefered a "Gates" movie. view post

•  

The Three Seas Forum archives are hosted and maintained courtesy of Jack Brown