Three Seas Forum

the archives

dusted off in read-only

•  

A question about the Prologue posted 01 June 2005 in Writing TipsA question about the Prologue by Kidruhil Lancer, Auditor

Obviously there are certain elements that have to be present in the prologue. It has to be engaging enough to grab the reader.. ( or the publisher! ).. it has to introduce the reader to your world.. and give the at least a reasonable perception of what's going on.

Now my question is...

Is it okay to have an interesting, engaging character in the prologue that appears rarely, if ever again? Or would it frustrate the reader to get interested in a character only to be pushed on to another? I know there's a fine like to walk. For instance, in TDtCB, Kellhus appears in the prologue, but then isn't around again for quite a ways into the book. I can remember being somewhat miffed, but only until I started paying attention to what was happening.

So, is it reasonable to assume that the reader will forgive the slight if the real main characters are just as interesting and engaging?

Or should I try and make the prologue about one of the characters appearing later? Or should I just not worry so much? view post

A question about the Prologue posted 01 June 2005 in Writing TipsA question about the Prologue by Deerow, Auditor

Well I know with TDtCB I was looking forward to Kellhus appearing again. Every time there was a character who was walking out of the shadows I was thinking "Is it Kellhus?" In that way I found it to be acceptable because I liked Kellhus as a character from the get go and wanted to see him return to action again.

Furthermore it felt more like a prologue as it set up a character that didn't return until much later (thus the reader could connect with that character instantly as opposed to having to get to know a whole new character). Whereas a prologue that discussed Achamian and then just moved on the chapter one and centered around him wouldn't have been as intriguing (IMO).

Essentially I don't think it really matters, the object of the prologue is simply to introduce the reader to your world and give some background on the goings-on. Whether you introduce your main character right away or introduce a character who will be absent for a period of time (probably more than half the book in the case of Kellhus) the main purpose is to grip the reader and have them stick with the novel no matter how long it takes to see the characters introduced. view post

A question about the Prologue posted 11 July 2006 in Writing TipsA question about the Prologue by Tilldusk, Commoner

What I usually do, I introduce them to the world but at the same time I throw symbolic situations that will foreshadow the entire book. A side novel of mine I just started, started with the gods talking of how they let men have power before they leave as a test of righteousness. The characters in that prologue are long gone and dead, but there is a second part of the prologue of a man of honored house running away from his problems.

When the book starts, the ocean that at first had been described a white lake of purity, had become the raging marred and black waters of the Cambian Sea, with all of its howling monstrosities.

It's my style, prologues have to be symbolic of the entire story for me, otherwise I feel as if the reader won't connect with them. And besides, if the reader reads it again, they'll be like, ":OH MAN I so see that now." feeling lol.

-Tilldusk the Coddigus Poet view post

•  

The Three Seas Forum archives are hosted and maintained courtesy of Jack Brown