Three Seas Forum

the archives

dusted off in read-only

•  

As a husband and father... posted 26 May 2005 in Author Q & AAs a husband and father... by Ishmael, Commoner

The world you have created is majestic. It is filled with end of the world struggles.

Many of your characters Xerius, Conphas, Akka, Cnauir have significant childhood motivations for their present state. I appreciate their added depth.

It seems you have created a world where everyone is raised in what we would consider to be a dysfunctional environment.

What I am leading up to is the end scene of WP. The sranc and nonman abduct a village/family for interrogation purposes. I know that the world you created is a harsh place and epic things are afoot but I was repulsed.

Your writing was effective and I did some major projection. The man in this scene does not reflect like "I'll never sing my children asleep again"--(it seems that sort of domesticity does not take place in these grand stories- it would only make things more tragic.) Still my experience was akin to a nauseous stomach. I lost my appetite for all grand conflicts. I didn't care whether the character was the prophet or if anyone gets their revenge. I was saddened by what was portrayed and inflicted upon that fictional family. This tragedy was greater than anything in the previous books to me (except Cnauir slaughtering the infant daughter of his tribesman)

Its odd in a way that this stuff is just background noise. The kind of thing that happens in this fictional world-- now lets move on to the real story. But to me those things are the real stories and as in real life no one is accountable. The old quote paraphrased "kill one person and your a despicable murderer - a menace to society. Kill Ten thousand people and you will be remembered as a great leader"

I was in the military long ago. Its my opinion national pride/religious fervor all work to serve the needs of those groups that never have your best interests at heart. I don't care much about what happens to Canada/US or the EU the Christian/Jews/Muslims---My concerns are much closer to the hearth. I want my two boys to be safe and happy. Families and children are the real victims of such grand designs. Every time an army "fictional" or real rolls through a city families, women and children are slaughtered/displaced/victimized. Every time I shudder, thinking of all the kids that are going to wonder about their mom. the missed games, the walks and lessons parents teach their children everyday.

I wonder if you are a father and how you are able to disconnect that part of yourself - if possible - when you write. The emotional immediacy of writing those scenes would be more truthful for me, than all the battles , fights, and subterfuge.

Peace in our time
Derek view post

As a husband and father... posted 26 May 2005 in Author Q & AAs a husband and father... by Jora, Commoner

Sorry for not having anything to say about the topic, but as someone who hasn't yet read TWP I would really appreciate if the posters of the forum put a spoiler warning! text in the beginning of their spoiling posts. view post

As a husband and father... posted 28 May 2005 in Author Q & AAs a husband and father... by Cu'jara Cinmoi, Author of Prince of Nothing

As a fellow spoiler-phobe, Jora, I sympathize, but I think you'll come to find it's not as spoilerish as it might seem. Otherwise, welcome to the board!

The same to you, Derek. I'm a husband, but not a father, though we do plan on starting a family. This means that I can only really imagine the difference in stakes you allude to between different types of scenes. I often find myself uncomfortable with what I write, but I usually take this to mean that I'm doing something right. I find it strange and troubling the way generic narrative can file away all the cutting edges, and make something inhumanly violent almost routine. So I try to make violence (in the non-historical sections of the book) as immediate and as troubling as I possibly can. I imagine that the stakes will change for me as well when I actually have children. view post

As a husband and father... posted 29 May 2005 in Author Q & AAs a husband and father... by Ishmael, Commoner

I am heartened that you are cognizant of the way "generic narrative can file away the sharp edges" and that violence should be disturbing. Though you might be uncomfortable with some of the things you write you realize their importance and their truth. I.e. you display the insight that characters like Esmenet are haunted by the decisions that they have made in the past.
You have my encouragement as your life changes and your family grows. Be uncomfortable and continue to write and there will be truth in what you are saying. Many of us decide we can't write about certain things or censor ourselves becuase of what others might think about us.

I just wanted to reiterate that I found your writing to be effective and uncomfortable. (congrats) I also found myself invested more in a man and his children than I was in a sorcerer and his school, etc.

Peace
Derek view post

As a husband and father... posted 06 June 2005 in Author Q & AAs a husband and father... by Cu'jara Cinmoi, Author of Prince of Nothing

Double peace. Thanks Derek. view post

As a husband and father... posted 10 June 2005 in Author Q & AAs a husband and father... by Fell, Peralogue

While I'm fairly used to macabre imagery in the lit I favour (i.e., Iain Banks, Clive Barker, Graham Joyce… hmm all from the U.K. actually), I am disheartened that so many people would question the legitimacy of such a world.

I don't mean to come off as an asshole, but really… take a look around the world. Nothing Scott can place on page (no offense to his talent as a writer) could ever bring the atrocities of our race to succumb in humility.

As C. G. Jung put forth, "Everything that irritates us about others can lead us to an understanding of ourselves." view post

As a husband and father... posted 10 June 2005 in Author Q & AAs a husband and father... by White Lord, Subdidact

Quote: "Fell":33g12lnf
I don't mean to come off as an asshole, but really… take a look around the world. Nothing Scott can place on page (no offense to his talent as a writer) could ever bring the atrocities of our race to succumb in humility.[/quote:33g12lnf]

This mirrors my thinking perfectly. Nothing should stop us from despising war and destruction, but ultimately, there's nothing anyone will ever be able to do about it. Humanity sans war is a utopia, and somehow eliminating the drive towards competition and warfare from humans would transform them into something that could not even be called human anymore. I would also submit to you all that our present state of society is mainly due to very devastating wars that have influenced the development of civilian life, of customs and most importantly of technology. Many things we all take for granted would be impossible without the drive to innovate and compete brought about by bloody conflicts.

A lot of rambling, but I'd really like to know what your opinion is on the possibility of eradicating violence from human societies, and how desirable the consequences of that would be . . . view post

As a husband and father... posted 10 June 2005 in Author Q & AAs a husband and father... by Fell, Peralogue

Quote: "White Lord":1t1ko58b
A lot of rambling, but I'd really like to know what your opinion is on the possibility of eradicating violence from human societies, and how desirable the consequences of that would be . . .[/quote:1t1ko58b]
I highly suggest a look at Howard Bloom's The Lucifer Principle:
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.howardbloom.net/lucifer/">http://www.howardbloom.net/lucifer/</a><!-- m --> view post

As a husband and father... posted 10 June 2005 in Author Q &amp; AAs a husband and father... by White Lord, Subdidact

Thanks for the link! I'll check it out . . . view post

•  

The Three Seas Forum archives are hosted and maintained courtesy of Jack Brown