Three Seas Forum

the archives

dusted off in read-only

•  

What's up with Terry Goodkind... posted 30 March 2005 in Off-Topic DiscussionWhat's up with Terry Goodkind... by Cynadar, Candidate

Terry Goodkind seems to be attacked... can someone explain to me why he is hated around here? view post

What's up with Terry Goodkind... posted 30 March 2005 in Off-Topic DiscussionWhat's up with Terry Goodkind... by Alric, Auditor

That's a very good question. It even has some very specific answers.

Goodkind is a mediocre author. He is capable, if he's willing to put the time and effort into a book, to write a decent enough fantasy novel. He's also proven that he can and will gladly write very bad fantasy. His plots are terribly derivative... even of each other. Nearly every book is a repeat of 2 or 3 primary plot points. Books 1 and 2, along with Faith of the Fallen show what Goodkind can do. Books like Blood of the Fold and Pillars of Creation show just how bad he can be. He writes very pointed political and philosophical opinions into his novels, which I don't agree with though some may.

Still, that isn't the primary reason why people dislike Goodkind. He is generally reviled because of his attitude, ego and the way he interacts with people. He quite vocally claims to be the best author working in fantasy. He claims that every one of his novels creates new levels of thought and understanding for his readers. He scorns the rest of the genre, including Tolkien and other foundational authors. He claims to never read fantasy while his stories clearly bear the evidence of that lie. He is rude and insulting to those who have questions about his politics, philosophy or writing style.

Goodkind is a mediocre writer with a few pretty decent books, along with a few pretty terrible books. It's his attitude and interactions with other people that make him generally disliked. view post

What's up with Terry Goodkind... posted 18 May 2005 in Off-Topic DiscussionWhat's up with Terry Goodkind... by SEF, Candidate

Quote: "Alric":6adhlhpg
That's a very good question. It even has some very specific answers.

Goodkind is a mediocre author. He is capable, if he's willing to put the time and effort into a book, to write a decent enough fantasy novel. He's also proven that he can and will gladly write very bad fantasy. His plots are terribly derivative... even of each other. Nearly every book is a repeat of 2 or 3 primary plot points. Books 1 and 2, along with Faith of the Fallen show what Goodkind can do. Books like Blood of the Fold and Pillars of Creation show just how bad he can be. He writes very pointed political and philosophical opinions into his novels, which I don't agree with though some may.

Still, that isn't the primary reason why people dislike Goodkind. He is generally reviled because of his attitude, ego and the way he interacts with people. He quite vocally claims to be the best author working in fantasy. He claims that every one of his novels creates new levels of thought and understanding for his readers. He scorns the rest of the genre, including Tolkien and other foundational authors. He claims to never read fantasy while his stories clearly bear the evidence of that lie. He is rude and insulting to those who have questions about his politics, philosophy or writing style.

Goodkind is a mediocre writer with a few pretty decent books, along with a few pretty terrible books. It's his attitude and interactions with other people that make him generally disliked.[/quote:6adhlhpg]

One of the best descriptions of this author I've read on the net. view post

What's up with Terry Goodkind... posted 21 May 2005 in Off-Topic DiscussionWhat's up with Terry Goodkind... by neongrey, Peralogue

I beg to differ about Faith of the Fallen, though. I could barely finish reading it. view post

What's up with Terry Goodkind... posted 25 May 2005 in Off-Topic DiscussionWhat's up with Terry Goodkind... by Folken Fanel, Commoner

I got mad when I started FotF...so mad infact I just skimmed through the entire novel in about 1hr got the just of the story and moved on. It was the same bloody story each bloody book. view post

•  

The Three Seas Forum archives are hosted and maintained courtesy of Jack Brown