Three Seas Forum

the archives

dusted off in read-only

•  

Ong Bak Absolutely rules! posted 28 February 2005 in Off-Topic DiscussionOng Bak Absolutely rules! by Faelcind Il Danach, Peralogue

You have all probably heard about it. Thai martial arts film has allready sweeped the world, getting its shot here in the states still on limited release, introduces Tony Jaa who is being crowned the new king of Martial arts films. As martial artist and gymnast I was awaiting this one very much, finally saw it last weekend and it was just incredible.

After all the wire fu movies that have come out recently as well as the decline in skills of Jackie and Jet seeing a really bad ass perform sans, wires, sans special effects was incredible refreshing. No that understates in completely. This movie was exhilirating it blew me away, it was an absolutely feast for the eyes seemed ever other moment I was ohhing and ahhhing and just genereally have paroxisms of Joy. You might have read the reveiws that said the plot was weaking and acting too, and I supposes its true, have you ever seen a true action film were that wasn't the case? Honestly the plott is much better then
the average such film, the acting is competent at least among the major players, the plot does its job and gets out of way. Then its just watching one of some of the most amazing atheletes ever getting put through their paces by an expert action director. Its beautifull, its brutal it blew my mind. Tony Jaa does things that just aren't human possible except that he does them. The fighting built around Thai boxing is genereally much more realistic and considerable brutal then the stylizied Kung fu you see out of hong kong and its awesome.

Theres not much more to say except this I do not buy films once is allways enough except in the rarest of cases Ong Bak is one such. I must own this film and watch it repeatedly. view post

Ong Bak Absolutely rules! posted 14 March 2005 in Off-Topic DiscussionOng Bak Absolutely rules! by tellner, Peralogue

It rocks. It rolls. It rules.

The martial arts are superb. The stunts were breathtaking. The acting is as good as you'd expect or a bit better for an action movie. Tony Jaa has immense skill and physical presence. And the story has a Thai sensibility. The hero isn't what's important. In fact, he doesn't even appear in the last scene. It's the village and the Buddha who are in the center of the action.

Go see it. But try not to watch the bootleg VCD. It came with two sets of subtitles and dubbing in two languages, all of which appeared at the same time. view post

Ong Bak Absolutely rules! posted 14 April 2005 in Off-Topic DiscussionOng Bak Absolutely rules! by Faelcind Il Danach, Peralogue

Actually ting does appear in the last scene he is on top of the elephant he is just hard to recognize cause his head is shaven and he is decked out in traditional regala. Nonetheless everone who is interested in martial arts or just spectacular human movement should see this film. To bad the studio never saw fit to give it a chance at a wide release here in the states. view post

Ong Bak Absolutely rules! posted 02 June 2005 in Off-Topic DiscussionOng Bak Absolutely rules! by Nauticus, Auditor

It was a great movie, but I disagree that people interested in Martial Arts would particularly like it. After all, just because he can preform pre-rendered combat patterns on TV doesn't really mean he's a very good fighter. Mind you, the same goes for Jackie Chan, Bruce Lee, and even Jean-Claud Van-Damm.

I train in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, Jishin-Ryu Jujitsu, Judo, and kickboxing. I used to take, and reached, green belt in Taekwondo. I've competed, won and lost, in both gi and no-gi Jiu-Jitsu tournaments, Judo competitions, Taekwondo events, SANCHU Karate matches, kickboxing fights, and huge Modified Pankration spectacles. Thing is, there are no flying side kicks in a real fight. It usually consists of jabs and crosses, followed by a high kick/clinch to knee/clinch to takedown, depending on the stylist.

There's very little jumping in a fight, due to the elimination of your balance once you do so.

Good movie, but I think some people overemphasize his combat skill too much. view post

Ong Bak Absolutely rules! posted 02 June 2005 in Off-Topic DiscussionOng Bak Absolutely rules! by tellner, Peralogue

Sorry to disagree with you, but most of my friends and I do a lot of martial arts, and we enjoyed the hell out of Ong Bak. It's true.There are things there that aren't realistic, but on the whole the action was good, and the fight scenes were much better than the Chinese Opera stuff from Hong Kong. view post

Ong Bak Absolutely rules! posted 02 June 2005 in Off-Topic DiscussionOng Bak Absolutely rules! by Deerow, Auditor

Yeah I liked this movie a lot...saw it three times in theatres I think.

Anyway. Anyone know when/if it will come out on DVD over here? dubbed? subbed?

Thanks. view post

Ong Bak Absolutely rules! posted 03 June 2005 in Off-Topic DiscussionOng Bak Absolutely rules! by tellner, Peralogue

We got ours from [url=http://www.hkdvdstore.com:2eby5mbv]Hong Kong DVD Store[/url:2eby5mbv]. It had a choice of subtitles and soundtracks. Whatever you do, don't get the bootleg VCD. It plays three soundtracks and two sets of subtitles at once, all in different languages. view post

Ong Bak Absolutely rules! posted 03 June 2005 in Off-Topic DiscussionOng Bak Absolutely rules! by Faelcind Il Danach, Peralogue

nauticus I am lifelong martial artist myself so I appreciate the realitis of fighting vs. onscreen perfromance but suggest martial artist won't get particular kick out of this movie is rather ludicrous. The vast majority of martial artist admire guys like bruce lee and Jackie chan despite knowing what the do onscreen wouldn't translate in real fight. view post

Ong Bak Absolutely rules! posted 03 June 2005 in Off-Topic DiscussionOng Bak Absolutely rules! by Deerow, Auditor

cool, thanks tellner...I'll look into that for sure. view post

Ong Bak Absolutely rules! posted 05 June 2005 in Off-Topic DiscussionOng Bak Absolutely rules! by diarmuid, Peralogue

thanks for the tip fellas

i am gonna watch this one soon view post

Ong Bak Absolutely rules! posted 07 June 2005 in Off-Topic DiscussionOng Bak Absolutely rules! by SymeonHaecceity, Peralogue

Ong Bak was a movie I *wanted* to like. Maybe it was the overuse of bad 80's style camerawork - where they show the same kick from three angles. Terrible!

Some people in the theater actually *laughed* at the climactic death scene of the hero's friend, so maybe that's what ruined it for me.

I really dug the fight scene in the bar tho, where he beats up three guys, especially the zippy dude with the fro.

My personal vote for kickass martial arts movie of the year is "Kungfu Hustle", a movie I liked even better than Kill Bill. Definitely a bizarre movie, yet sweet and funny at the same time. view post

Ong Bak Absolutely rules! posted 18 June 2005 in Off-Topic DiscussionOng Bak Absolutely rules! by Nauticus, Auditor

Quote: "Faelcind Il Danach":3t7200ns
nauticus I am lifelong martial artist myself so I appreciate the realitis of fighting vs. onscreen perfromance but suggest martial artist won't get particular kick out of this movie is rather ludicrous. The vast majority of martial artist admire guys like bruce lee and Jackie chan despite knowing what the do onscreen wouldn't translate in real fight.[/quote:3t7200ns]
To each his own, I guess. Most people I train with have little respect for Lee and Chan, and so forth, for exploiting their self-defense training to make money. Of course, we can just as easily hate Capitalism for that, but thats beside the point.

I don't disrespect either of them, but I'm a fan of realistic movies. So, when they have unrealistic fight scenes, it annoys me. view post

Ong Bak Absolutely rules! posted 18 June 2005 in Off-Topic DiscussionOng Bak Absolutely rules! by SymeonHaecceity, Peralogue

Quote: "Nauticus":3konznow
Quote: "Faelcind Il Danach":3konznow
nauticus I am lifelong martial artist myself so I appreciate the realitis of fighting vs. onscreen perfromance but suggest martial artist won't get particular kick out of this movie is rather ludicrous. The vast majority of martial artist admire guys like bruce lee and Jackie chan despite knowing what the do onscreen wouldn't translate in real fight.[/quote:3konznow]
To each his own, I guess. Most people I train with have little respect for Lee and Chan, and so forth, for exploiting their self-defense training to make money. Of course, we can just as easily hate Capitalism for that, but thats beside the point.

I don't disrespect either of them, but I'm a fan of realistic movies. So, when they have unrealistic fight scenes, it annoys me.[/quote:3konznow]

Bruce Lee was, at least, a real martial artist. He would no doubt have practiced daily, whether he was a movie star or not. When I studied karate, ages ago, my sensei once put on "Enter the Dragon" and would replay certain moves, over and over again, to show us how it was done. In particular, the side kick he used to take out O'Hara when he came at him with a bottle is fantastic.

There are certainly varying degrees of realistic. "Raging Bull" is realistic. When De Niro (Jake) beats the crap out of Pesci (Joey) it's pretty damn realistic.

Jackie Chan is great - while there are no doubt "better" martial artists, how many have his comedic timing and sense? I think he's nearly a modern Chaplin.

As for Bruce, well he couldn't act - but let's face it, you watch Fred Astaire for the dancing, not the acting. You watch Bruce for the ass kicking - not the finely honed acting.

If he made millions doing what he did best and entertained millilons more, good for him! Martial Artists might complain about Bruce "selling out", whatever that hoary phrase means, but without him how many martial art's schools would be variety stores in plazas? view post

•  

The Three Seas Forum archives are hosted and maintained courtesy of Jack Brown