Three Seas Forum

the archives

dusted off in read-only

•  

Video games, a precursor to the Second Fall of Man? posted 21 December 2004 in Off-Topic DiscussionVideo games, a precursor to the Second Fall of Man? by Fell, Peralogue

I am currently getting into [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transhumanism:3dooqto2]transhumanism[/url:3dooqto2], which deals with issues right out of Mamoru Oshii's Innocence イノセンス, the follow-up to 1991's Ghost in the Shell (攻殻機動隊). This all deals with the idea of non-localised consciousness and ideas dealing with abstract symbolic associations that dictate gestalts — subsequently shaping reality — and, of course, "artificual intelligence." I am hoping most have seen Innocence, and if not, it's definitely worth checking out.

Having some knowledge of creation myths from around the world and occult lore, it's dawning on me that the advent of digital entertainment is beginning to represent to me, more and more, similarities to the fabled Fall of Man. Christopher Dewdney put it interestingly in his Last Flesh: Life in the Transhuman Era, that the popularity in cutlures around the globe today for body modifications and piercings is an "evocation of the cyborg." I find this amazing because of the current development of MMORPGs, such as EverQuest, Star Wars Galaxies, and World of Warcraft.

If what the lore states is somewhat accurate, that as angelic beings — beings of consciousness, pure energy and thought — we lowered ourselves from the higher echelons of spiritual vibration down to the manifest world of matter, space and time. Over the process, we inhabited the world in Lemuria as beings without ego, as pure thought interacting with the spirit of the world. Then we began to meld with matter and, in time, we came to subdivide our perceptions through organisms and ego came to be, slowly seperating us from the divine aspects of the subconscious mind and forcing us to come to believe that the manifest world is all that there is (no thanks to objectivity).

This is, of course, a very brief look at it, but it's a allegorical "fall" of consiousness into a world of matter and time. And now, as people rest into these states where the world is melting away for hours at a time, existing almost wholly in this online realm via an interface (the GUI and monitor), I ponder what will be when the interface is removed and neural hook-ups allow persons direct access to uploading memory to the internet, worlds can be created at will, and access to the worlds data is at the tip of everyone's fingers.

The flesh is slowly becoming obsolete. And even though we live in a world still sadly holding onto Newtonian science and the belief that consciousness is a product of biology, I am observing consciousness slowly adapting to a new realm of experience and interaction. A sort of Second Fall of Man, into a non-manifest digital realm.

And there are ideas that the noosphere that is the internet is an aspect of Earth's energy beginning to manifest in our reality in order to better interact and merge with humanity. It may be that Gaia is building a link from an abstract level of being, and it's beginning to take hold and manifest in our sphere of experience so that communication can be broadened. The word angel did originate with the term angle, and geometry is the language of both the occult and the universe. It was human beings that wrapped symbolic façades of winged saints around these abstract concepts of consciousness, these faceless-yet-sentient beings of energy.

A new age of magic seems apparent to rise, as the objective world wanes and one of intersubjectivity, knowledge and dream-like experiences continues to evolve. Gender is moot, race is history, and the worth of anyone will be based solely on their wisdom. Sounds like an age of transcendence.

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.reason.com/rb/rb082504.shtml">http://www.reason.com/rb/rb082504.shtml</a><!-- m -->

Enter Francis Fukuyama, professor of international political economy at Johns Hopkins School of Advanced International Studies, author of Our Posthuman Future: Consequences of the Biotechnology Revolution, and a member of the President's Council on Bioethics. "What ideas, if embraced, would pose the greatest threat to the welfare of humanity?" That question was posed to eight prominent policy intellectuals by the editors of Foreign Policy in its September/October issue. In his article, Fukuyama claims that transhumanism is a highly dangerous movement, something akin to an X-Men-like racial prejudice against humans. As if those wiser than the vulgar would want to focus on weapons and warfare, the predominant way of life for the vicious, under-educated, and a special case can be made for half of the United States and European Union.

Interesting food for thought, worth perusing. Especially when one compares the state of the world to the myths of our long-lost past. view post

•  

The Three Seas Forum archives are hosted and maintained courtesy of Jack Brown