Three Seas Forum

the archives

dusted off in read-only

•  

Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn posted 27 November 2004 in Literature DiscussionMemory, Sorrow, and Thorn by Anonymous, Subdidact

So I'm on the message board of Greg Keyes for a minute, checking it out...

And people are calling Tad Williams a genius!?!?

Can anyone confirm or deny? I read the first 30 pages and thought it was cliche, uncreative writing with a basic setting and redundant characters.

Are these books worth my time or is it Lord of the Rings part 12 penned by Joe Hack? view post

Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn posted 27 November 2004 in Literature DiscussionMemory, Sorrow, and Thorn by Da-krul, Auditor

Personnaly, I really enjoyed his books, it definitly isn't a LOTR clone if thats what your wondering about. view post

Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn posted 27 November 2004 in Literature DiscussionMemory, Sorrow, and Thorn by Anonymous, Subdidact

Appreciate it. I thought the first 50 sucked, but if more thnk its worthy I'll give it a second rip. Anyone else? view post

Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn posted 27 November 2004 in Literature DiscussionMemory, Sorrow, and Thorn by AjDeath, Didact

I like his work muchly. Enough to by whatever he puts out. Not a genius, but a very entertaining and different writer. view post

Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn posted 27 November 2004 in Literature DiscussionMemory, Sorrow, and Thorn by Aesmael, Candidate

I will also vouch for him. Although, sometimes I think he wrote the whole thing just to do the ending. It is not what it appears to be when you open the first book.

Or you could try one of his other stories, such as War of the Flowers or Otherland, none of which are arguably in the same genre as each other.

And there's always the wotmania interview. They did Bakker, they wouldn't interview an author if wasn't up to snuff, would they? Or, if you respect George R. R. Martin's opinion, this (I assume this is Memory, Sorrow & Thorn we are talking about) was one of the things that convinced him good stories could still be told in fantasy, that they did not all have to be Tolkien clones. view post

That was the real friggin shocker; that this inspired GRRM.

I'll reserve the term "literary genius" for myself, Scott and Tokin'. view post

Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn posted 04 December 2004 in Literature DiscussionMemory, Sorrow, and Thorn by Aesmael, Candidate

Tokin'?

Oh.

Wait, him? You and Scott, sure, but really. I begin to doubt your taste.

If you want to verify the GRRM opinion I believe it is in the 'So Spake Martin' archive at Westeros.org. I will not check myself. Have not visited that archive in two years and will not until the Feast is done. view post

Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn posted 04 December 2004 in Literature DiscussionMemory, Sorrow, and Thorn by Edge, Peralogue

It is true about Martin and Williams. He even names two minor characters as Elias and Joshua after the two brothers in MS&T.

Personally I found MS&T a little slow, but worth sticking with as Williams takes the time to flesh out his characters. As the story progresses it steadily diverges from the standard fantasy cliches you would expect.

If you find it all a little too long try his stand-alone novel War of the Flowers . Again the description on the cover may sound cliched but the story is possibly his best so far. view post

Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn posted 04 December 2004 in Literature DiscussionMemory, Sorrow, and Thorn by Anonymous, Subdidact

Sorry, is Tolkien's literary genius being debated here? Cause if it is...

Tokin is a great nick name for the guy who made pipe weed a fantasy gig.

Well, maybe not perfect but...

Length isn't the issue with Memory, Sorrow and Thorn...It just starts off with the sense of the downtrodden boy becoming king thing all over again. view post

Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn posted 05 December 2004 in Literature DiscussionMemory, Sorrow, and Thorn by AjDeath, Didact

Quote: "Erthaelion'":e9j988ij
Sorry, is Tolkien's literary genius being debated here? Cause if it is...

Tokin is a great nick name for the guy who made pipe weed a fantasy gig.

Well, maybe not perfect but...

Length isn't the issue with Memory, Sorrow and Thorn...It just starts off with the sense of the downtrodden boy becoming king thing all over again.[/quote:e9j988ij]You get over when you see that he is essentially a downtrodden kid through the entire trilogy. view post

Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn posted 13 December 2004 in Literature DiscussionMemory, Sorrow, and Thorn by Gable, Candidate

Honestly, these were good books.
But, honestly, they really sucked at the end, when the main protagonist pretty much sits by and watches other people do great things. Bummer. view post

Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn posted 18 December 2004 in Literature DiscussionMemory, Sorrow, and Thorn by Anonymous, Subdidact

I read the entire series, and while i did finish it, i wasn't overly impressed. It defintely had it's moments, and while i'm not recommending it to anyone, i'm also not gonna stop them from reading it. Personally i think the best parts were the analagies that Williams uses to portray insane men, depsperate woman, etc.... besdies that, it was similar to a lot of other works where helpless, useless boy becomes king of everything. view post

Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn posted 17 February 2006 in Literature DiscussionMemory, Sorrow, and Thorn by selfnoise, Commoner

I read these in high school and really enjoyed them, but they do feel like books that wouldn't really stand up on a second reading. They do beat the hell out of most other airplane fantasy.

I hadn't heard any anecdote about them inspiring GRRM. If you want to read a series that clearly inspired the man, try Jack Vance's "Lyonesse". There are certain... debts. view post

Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn posted 11 May 2006 in Literature DiscussionMemory, Sorrow, and Thorn by Inkdaub, Candidate

It's okay. The two best things about it are that it inspired Ice and Fire and it's where my name comes from. view post

Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn posted 18 August 2006 in Literature DiscussionMemory, Sorrow, and Thorn by noodles0585, Peralogue

i liked MSaT i thought it was interesting and not so much cliche as you might think so give it a chance not saying tad williams is a literary genius but this series is pretty good so give it a shot. view post

Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn posted 14 September 2006 in Literature DiscussionMemory, Sorrow, and Thorn by Scel, Candidate

I loved Tads early works. Sure you can always find simialarites to JRR in much of the fantasy realm....but Tad has a great lyrical style like G G Kay.

Sure the Hyenrsteri(? sp) reminded me of the Riders of Rohan....but some charaters were more similar to Feist's Riftwar.

I'm sure there are more..but I haven't read it since...it 1st came out. Oh god...I'm old. view post

Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn posted 30 December 2006 in Literature DiscussionMemory, Sorrow, and Thorn by paddyenglish, Candidate

Tad Williams is a great author in my personnal opinion and MS&T deserve the time.
I just read the first book in the new series he started and although it may be a bit slow I know from experience that it will get going in the next book. Thats Shadowmarch view post

•  

The Three Seas Forum archives are hosted and maintained courtesy of Jack Brown