Three Seas Forum

the archives

dusted off in read-only

•  

Personal Identity posted 20 November 2007 in Philosophy DiscussionPersonal Identity by jub, Peralogue

What makes you, you? Is it a soul that defines us, our brain, or maybe our memories? Are we the same person we were 15 years ago? view post

Personal Identity posted 20 November 2007 in Philosophy DiscussionPersonal Identity by Lucky Sevens, Candidate

These have reasonably objective answers:

While we are alive, we are changing. Our brains are storehouses for our memories. Our memories (both conscious and unconscious) allow us to know, or at least be, what we've been, and thus change only in a limited fashion. What defines us is continuity, which is more-or-less the same as a soul.

There are various mental tricks to get at these conclusions; one is to imagine a machine that can make a perfect copy of you. Is the copy you? Another is to imagine a ship that has its planks replaced one by one over the course of years, until none of the original bits are left. Is it the same ship? That's what happens to you.

There are certainly other schools of thought, but I've always preferred definitions that are more of an operational bent than theoretical. view post

Personal Identity posted 20 November 2007 in Philosophy DiscussionPersonal Identity by jub, Peralogue

Quote: "Lucky Sevens":1qxfndwx
What defines us is continuity, which is more-or-less the same as a soul.
[/quote:1qxfndwx]

So, you believe in life after death; or are you refering to 'soul' as a means for definition?

Quote: "Lucky Sevens":1qxfndwx
There are various mental tricks to get at these conclusions; one is to imagine a machine that can make a perfect copy of you. Is the copy you?[/quote:1qxfndwx]

So if I am a continuity of (you have yet to explain), and someone makes an exact copy of me, with the same memories of the same experiences, would that mean there are two of me now? view post

Personal Identity posted 27 November 2007 in Philosophy DiscussionPersonal Identity by Lucky Sevens, Candidate

Quote: "jub":1ym1vyc5
So, you believe in life after death; or are you refering to 'soul' as a means for definition?[/quote:1ym1vyc5]
A soul is the linear and continuous progression of oneself; death is a break in that continuity.

Quote: "jub":1ym1vyc5
So if I am a continuity of (you have yet to explain), and someone makes an exact copy of me, with the same memories of the same experiences, would that mean there are two of me now?[/quote:1ym1vyc5]
No, there would be one you, and another who is very much like you. If nothing else, they occupy a different space than you, and begin to have divergent experiences the moment they are created. view post

Personal Identity posted 28 November 2007 in Philosophy DiscussionPersonal Identity by jub, Peralogue

Quote: "Lucky Sevens":12j7d06a

No, there would be one you, and another who is very much like you. If nothing else, they occupy a different space than you, and begin to have divergent experiences the moment they are created.[/quote:12j7d06a]

Then we are a compilatoin of past experiences, nothing more? view post

Personal Identity posted 29 November 2007 in Philosophy DiscussionPersonal Identity by Lucky Sevens, Candidate

Quote: "jub":i4n9lhtq
Quote: "Lucky Sevens":i4n9lhtq

No, there would be one you, and another who is very much like you. If nothing else, they occupy a different space than you, and begin to have divergent experiences the moment they are created.[/quote:i4n9lhtq]

Then we are a compilatoin of past experiences, nothing more?[/quote:i4n9lhtq]
No. Experiences are just one way in which we may differ, but they are indicators of other more subtle changes that can occur. In reality, we are past experiences, current environment, genes, and their epigenetic modifications. view post

Personal Identity posted 01 April 2008 in Philosophy DiscussionPersonal Identity by avatar_of_existence, Peralogue

the person in the mirror is more you than you are. this is a recent phenomenon of american culture view post

•  

The Three Seas Forum archives are hosted and maintained courtesy of Jack Brown