Three Seas Forum

the archives

dusted off in read-only

•  

Herodotus' The History posted 15 October 2004 in Off-Topic DiscussionHerodotus' The History by Sovin Nai, Site Administrator

Anyone read Herodotus here? I am reading The History for seminar at school, and I absolutely LOVE it. It also strongly reminds me of TPoN, especially in the narration of military manouevering. I never thought I would like a history book so much, although maybe it's because it is an embellished history. view post

Herodotus' The History posted 15 October 2004 in Off-Topic DiscussionHerodotus' The History by Wil, Head Moderator

I really enjoyed The Histories. Even though I didn't read all of them, just select parts. I do agree that it reminds me of PoN, but at the same time so different.

God I'm tired. Fall break! Hurrah! view post

Herodotus' The History posted 19 October 2004 in Off-Topic DiscussionHerodotus' The History by Sovin Nai, Site Administrator

We only read about half of it. Which parts did you read? Ours was Book 1, parts of 2 and 3, 6,7,8,9. view post

Herodotus' The History posted 21 October 2004 in Off-Topic DiscussionHerodotus' The History by Taliesin, Peralogue

Haven't read it yet, but I'm going to read some of it in Greek next semester. I'm excited... I've had enough of reading dramas for the moment. view post

Herodotus' The History posted 27 December 2004 in Off-Topic DiscussionHerodotus' The History by Annabel, Peralogue

I read Herodotus years ago. I remember enjoying it. I also seem to recall the big lesson was this - governments and societal forms are going through a constant and inevitable evolution/devolution and that each "ideal" form of political organization has a devolved and less desirable form. Monarchies versus tyrranies, aristocracies versus oligarchies, democracy versus the rule of the mob. That's Herodotus, right? Runs counter to Hegelian thought when you think of it. view post

Herodotus' The History posted 15 May 2005 in Off-Topic DiscussionHerodotus' The History by Sovin Nai, Site Administrator

I suppose that is in Herodotus, but I would hazard that Thucydides has more of that, which I have read since my last post and also greatly enjoyed.

Taliesen: In greek? Are you taking greek? I just finished my first year of ancient greek. What did you think? view post

•  

The Three Seas Forum archives are hosted and maintained courtesy of Jack Brown