the archives

dusted off in read-only

•  

International Spec Fic posted 05 Oct 2004, 01:10 by Aldarion, Sorcerer-of-Rank

Hey, just thought I'd poll people here for any outstanding works of fantasy, sci-fi, or horror that you know of that's been published outside North America or Great Britain. Just wrote a new Blog entry discussing this and would love to have input from readers here about it. Thanks in advance! [url:1te94ktd]http://ofblog.blogspot.com/2004/10/just-how-universal-is-speculative.html[/url:1te94ktd] view post

Re: International Spec Fic posted 11 Oct 2004, 03:10 by Clarkesworld Books, Peralogue

[quote="Aldarion":3mtscwsk]Hey, just thought I'd poll people here for any outstanding works of fantasy, sci-fi, or horror that you know of that's been published outside North America or Great Britain.[/quote:3mtscwsk] I have to give some credit to Prime Books for publishing some foreign authors I probably never would have heard of. Zoran Zivkovic is probably one of the better examples. By the way, I'm assuming that you're also including Australia in with the US and United Kingdom. Lots of good stuff coming from there. Small Beer published Kalpa Imperial: The Greatest Empire That Never Was by Angélica Gorodischer, translated by Ursula K. LeGuin. Very good. -Neil view post

posted 08 Nov 2004, 23:11 by Aesmael, Candidate

I would have to say [i:1u11sutc]Berserk[/i:1u11sutc] by Kentarou Miura. Not a novel, it is very long (still unfinished - around 28 volumes so far and I have only read not quite half) manga series which has also had one arc adapted as an anime. Perhaps not truly what you are after, as it owes more to Western traditions (Conan being one example) than to Japanese. Still, I urge anyone who gets the chance to pick it up, as I found it to be a very powerful story. I could (and have) wept for the main characters. No one deserves that. And yet, I find it difficult to blame him for what he did. There are two caveats, though. First, the content of the story is more explicit, wert both violence and sex than, for example, Martin's [i:1u11sutc]Song of Ice and Fire[/i:1u11sutc]. This is further emphasised by the graphic nature of the media it is presented in. The english translations, at least, are not for sale to those under 18. Second, like Erikson's Malazan books, it has been said that it takes a while to get off the ground (1st book/1st arc). I did not find it so in either case, but anyone interested yet unwilling to take my word may want to rent the anime before committing themselves. 3rd :? To the two other examples of fiction mentioned in this post, I would compare it extremely favourably. Genre-wise it has been referred to as both fantasy and horror To finish, I will say that if something is recommended to me as international literature I am less inclined (but not disinclined, if that is thecorrect use of the words) to pursue it than if it is recommended as an excellent story. Although I am interested in other cultures, the first case feels like I am being asked to read something on the premise that I will not understand it, or purely on the merits of its unfamiliarity. While the latter is not a bad thing, it does not motivate me in itself - at least at the moment. Hmm, perhaps not quite done after all. To finish (for real this time), a question for Larry: How familiar are you with Japanese manga/anime? Although I am not myself a fan of them, I do keep an ear out for any that might catch my interest as works of fiction/sf in their own right and could recommend some you might be interested in. view post

•  

The Three Seas Forum archives are hosted and maintained courtesy of Jack Brown.