Three Seas Forum

the archives

dusted off in read-only

•  

Skaeos...huh? posted 30 October 2007 in The Darkness That Comes BeforeSkaeos...huh? by bobby, Commoner

First, I loved the first book - I'm waiting to get a chance to go to the bookstore for the second. Despite the reviews I thought the book was very absorbing and not too hard to follow (except for below).

But the big kicker in the end actually confused me. Yes, I understand that Skaeos was a Consult agent, and was manipulating the Emperor behind the scenes...but what he did that actually benefited the Consult seems to be up to question. Especially because during this first book, the Consult is all mysterious and we don't know exactly what it wants to do besides bring back the No-God and the 2nd Apocalypse. I also understand that everyone else besides Achamanian and maybe Kellhus, thinks Skaeos was a Nishaurim.

What I don't understand is how the Emperor knew he was betrayed by Skaeos, and why what happened in that meeting could even be construed as a betrayal. It seems that Maithanet could have ordered the emperor at any time to fund the Holy War. Why did the Emperor see this decision in the end as a result of treason?

Was there some scene previous in the book that I am forgetting? The only other explanation seems too simple: Skaeos was the only one present during all the Emperor's scheming (sacrificing the Vulgar Holy War, etc.). So he could have just been a spy that forwarded this info to the Shriah. And the Shriah ordered the Emperor to fund the Holy War as punishment.

Am I just making this too hard???

Thanks,
Bobby view post

Skaeos...huh? posted 30 October 2007 in The Darkness That Comes BeforeSkaeos...huh? by Paxol, Commoner

This is something that I must have missed as well. Xerius went from trusting this man to not in a split second after he was commanded to provison the Holy War. How can Skeaos be blammed for treason due to this process? Could he have talked Xerius into bringing the broken Scylvendi to the meeting as a way of discrediting Cnaiur and if so the back firing of this process could be perceived in the mind of Xerius as treachery? Its a stretch to be sure.

To me this came out of the blue with no preamble. Only Kellhus sensing something strange about Skeaos and then further along...

"Take Skeaos,' his lips hissed. "The old wretch hides some treason."

Where does this conclusion come from? view post

Skaeos...huh? posted 30 October 2007 in The Darkness That Comes BeforeSkaeos...huh? by bobby, Commoner

One thing I did catch from reading this chapter again last night, is that Kellhus and Skaeos were "innocently" scrutinizing each other, and one of them nodded when they realized this was going on. The Emperor saw all of this and "whirled" (?) around to look at Skaeos. As if he was thinking, "WTF?"

So then later in the chapter, Kellhus dissects the whole issue at hand, effectively showing that neither Conphas or Cnaiur are an obvious moral choice for leading the Holy War. With Conphas no longer as crucial, and the order from the Shriah, the Emperor can't force anyone to sign the Indenture. Perhaps the emperor assumed that the look and nod Skaeos and Kellhus gave each other were signs of a conspiracy. That still seems like slim evidence by which you can send someone down to the torture chamber. But he's the emperor and can do whatever he wants with his subjects... view post

Skaeos...huh? posted 30 October 2007 in The Darkness That Comes BeforeSkaeos...huh? by Harrol, Moderator

You must remember that the Emperor is a cruel and petty man. Part of his plan came unraveled and this of course could only be explained by treason. Certainly the Emporer is too crafty to be undone by any other means, or so the Emporer thinks. Due to his cruelty someone would have suffered for the defeat that he took at the hands of Cnaiur. view post

Skaeos...huh? posted 31 October 2007 in The Darkness That Comes BeforeSkaeos...huh? by Paxol, Commoner

Quote: "bobby":14vf3i82
One thing I did catch from reading this chapter again last night, is that Kellhus and Skaeos were "innocently" scrutinizing each other, and one of them nodded when they realized this was going on. The Emperor saw all of this and "whirled" (?) around to look at Skaeos. As if he was thinking, "WTF?"

So then later in the chapter, Kellhus dissects the whole issue at hand, effectively showing that neither Conphas or Cnaiur are an obvious moral choice for leading the Holy War. With Conphas no longer as crucial, and the order from the Shriah, the Emperor can't force anyone to sign the Indenture. Perhaps the emperor assumed that the look and nod Skaeos and Kellhus gave each other were signs of a conspiracy. That still seems like slim evidence by which you can send someone down to the torture chamber. But he's the emperor and can do whatever he wants with his subjects...[/quote:14vf3i82]

Good catch. If you read the end of that chapter you will see where Kellhus knows that Xerius would love to have his head but had no grounds, he then grabs Cnauir and leaves quickly. view post

Skaeos...huh? posted 06 November 2007 in The Darkness That Comes BeforeSkaeos...huh? by Túrin, Commoner

Earlier in the book, I forget what chapter, there's a scene with Xerius looking over the city, his mother is there and starts screeching at him at some point and has to be restrained (I think she accuses him that his plan to destroy the Scylvendi is a play to kill Conphas).

Anyway, in that scene we're told that the Emporer is an extremely paranoid man - that if two servants happen to lock eyes he suspects treachery and treason. Hence, it makes perfect sense that he'd suspect Skeaos - his plan has just gone awry, and he notices his Prime Counsul catching the gaze of the person largely responsible for causing his plan to go awry. Coincidnece? Not in the mind of a paranoid Xerius. view post

Skaeos...huh? posted 06 November 2007 in The Darkness That Comes BeforeSkaeos...huh? by Harrol, Moderator

I believe it was a Conphas P.O.V. where he stated that if two slaves farted at the same time that the emporer suspected treachery. view post

Skaeos...huh? posted 06 November 2007 in The Darkness That Comes BeforeSkaeos...huh? by Túrin, Commoner

Harrol,

That does ring of familiarity, I think that's the precise reference I was thinking of. Though are you sure it was a Conphas thought and not narrarator? view post

Skaeos...huh? posted 07 November 2007 in The Darkness That Comes BeforeSkaeos...huh? by Callan S., Auditor

I remember Kellhus chiding himself after for looking too long at Skaeos (the skin spy traits were completely unexpected) and setting off something without intending too. view post

Skaeos...huh? posted 15 September 2008 in The Darkness That Comes BeforeSkaeos...huh? by Cironian, Peralogue

I think the Emperor arrested Saeos so quickly because of what kind of person the Emperor is. I highly doubt he knew that Skaeos was a spy, but Xerius is so completely and utterly paranoid that he'd lock Skaeos up for something as simple as what he did looking at Khellus. He might even suspect Skaeos of treason moreso than more minor slaves, simply because Skaeos is closer to him, and knows much more about Xerius and his scheming.

(Also, he could've just been a sore loser, what with his Indenture plan not working out, in addition to having Cnaiur in higher standing than his nephew, and needed to find someone to blame.) view post

Skaeos...huh? posted 23 September 2008 in The Darkness That Comes BeforeSkaeos...huh? by Nerdanel, Peralogue

There was, I think in the next book, a scene where Xerius reveals his reasons for suspecting Skeaos.

I think this board doesn't do spoilers, but anyway, I think I can say openly that you're being right... view post

Skaeos...huh? posted 16 November 2009 in The Darkness That Comes BeforeSkaeos...huh? by Callan S., Auditor

Quote: "bobby":u2jj07iy
What I don't understand is how the Emperor knew he was betrayed by Skaeos[/quote:u2jj07iy]
He didn't know. He was a paranoid madman and merely by chance he took the look between Kelhus and Skaeos as some sort of conspiracy, and merely on that alone he ordered Skaeos tortured.

It was hapstance. view post

•  

The Three Seas Forum archives are hosted and maintained courtesy of Jack Brown