Three Seas Forum

the archives

dusted off in read-only

•  

Alright, our first book club discussion is going to be posted 04 September 2004 in Book ClubAlright, our first book club discussion is going to be by Grantaire, Moderator

A Game of Thrones, by George R.R. Martin. Since this is a fairly popular and well-read book, I don't think we need a massively long time to wait before the discussion. So I'd say the weekend of the 24 through the 26. I don't know whether Friday, Saturday, or Sunday works best for people, so just sound off on which of those days will be best, and I'll go with the majority.

Some sample things to think about before the discussion (if you want):
-Martin's use of history as somewhat of a parallel to his story. Did you enjoy that style?
-The violent and sexual content. Did it add appropriately to the story? Or was it overdone?
-The lack of some fantastical elements (i.e. no elves & dwarves, not too much magic). Did you feel that the sometimes lacking amount of magic detracted from the fantastical appeal?
-Characters. Did you feel characterization was done well? Were the characters realistic, especially in the context of the story?

Just think about those, and anything else you want about the book. I'll post the actual discussion thread on the morning that everyone thinks will be best.

Questions? view post

Alright, our first book club discussion is going to be posted 06 September 2004 in Book ClubAlright, our first book club discussion is going to be by legatus, Auditor

Saturday works best for me, since my Sundays are usually busy until early evening, while the opposite is often true of Fridays, with my only free time being earlier in the day. I should be able to make enough time on any of the days to contribute a little one way or another though, so I'm not too picky about when we discuss the book. But even so, Saturday would still suit me best. view post

Alright, our first book club discussion is going to be posted 07 September 2004 in Book ClubAlright, our first book club discussion is going to be by Aldarion, Sorcerer-of-Rank

The weekends are the worst time for me, personally. Lately, I've been working longer shifts on the weekends (12 hours on Saturdays, 16 hours on Sundays), plus the occasional Monday night thrown in as well. I'll try to participate, however, seeing as I have read the book. Nice call on the first. view post

Alright, our first book club discussion is going to be posted 07 September 2004 in Book ClubAlright, our first book club discussion is going to be by Alric, Auditor

I'm not online at all on weekends. Though, with a smaller site like this, this discussion should last quite some time, so I can get in on the action a few days after it has been started. view post

•  

The Three Seas Forum archives are hosted and maintained courtesy of Jack Brown