Three Seas Forum

the archives

dusted off in read-only

•  

Prince Of Ayodhya posted 03 September 2004 in Literature DiscussionPrince Of Ayodhya by AjDeath, Didact

Anyone else read any of of Ashok K. Banker's Ramayana? I have only read the first and found it thoroughly enjoyable. I am still waiting for the rest to be released in the U.S. I frigging hate these damnable U.S. publishers, any non-American literature is always about five years behind. FRUSTRATION! view post

Prince Of Ayodhya posted 03 September 2004 in Literature DiscussionPrince Of Ayodhya by drosdelnoch, Subdidact

Ive read one but that was a while back, demons of chitrakut, quite enjoyed it. view post

Prince Of Ayodhya posted 23 January 2005 in Literature DiscussionPrince Of Ayodhya by ilana richardson, Candidate

yeah i read Prince of Arodhya i enjoyed it. Looks like a promising author. view post

Prince Of Ayodhya posted 23 February 2005 in Literature DiscussionPrince Of Ayodhya by neongrey, Peralogue

I've gotten it used, and I've got to say, it's not enthralling me. The word choices I can live with (though the incongruity of 'abs' on the first page made me cringe in horror), but there's a lot of things that just turn me off. Things like having the main character walk by a mirror as an excuse to give him a description. That sort of thing. view post

Prince Of Ayodhya posted 10 March 2005 in Literature DiscussionPrince Of Ayodhya by gyrehead, Candidate

I read the first book and will not be continuing. Banker loves the purple prose. Which I could understand if he was sticking to the classical feel of his re-telling. But the weird word usages like the aforementioned "abs" really were offputting. Banker's writing skills and style were no where near strong enough to even come close to carrying this out well.

Very disappointing as I am not as familiar with the original work as I am with Greek, Roman, Arthurian and other Western traditions/legends that permeate the market. I would love to see a really good author tackle the work and either just use it as a platform for their own original work or perhaps write it in the fashion of how Gemmell is approaching the Trojan War. view post

Prince Of Ayodhya posted 14 March 2005 in Literature DiscussionPrince Of Ayodhya by neongrey, Peralogue

I ended up giving up. Could not do it. Great idea, but... just no. view post

•  

The Three Seas Forum archives are hosted and maintained courtesy of Jack Brown