the archives

dusted off in read-only

•  

Susanna Clarke posted 01 Sep 2004, 05:09 by Epitaphs, Candidate

Anyone else excited to read [i:2krreqec]Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell[/i:2krreqec]? I saw it at the bookstore. I must have. Must must have.[/i] view post

Great book ! posted 05 Mar 2005, 20:03 by Tol h'Eddes, Auditor

Hi ! Did you read it? How did you find it? I bought it last autumn. Another book I discovered by luck, its cover being the first thing that catched my attention (the cover was not plastified, giving the book an older look). At first, I was disconcerted by its length and the quantity of footnotes. But after 2 chapters, I began to appreciate everything. Some footnotes can be quite funny, in their way of seemingly going nowhere. Like for PoN, there is a lot of work and research behind this book. There is some talk about a sequel... But I don't know when. If you didn't read it, this is a must !!! :o view post

posted 09 Mar 2005, 05:03 by Epitaphs, Candidate

Yes, I did read it, and yes, I enjoyed it. Immensely. One of the few books I've read in the last six months(which includes, thankfully, both PON books published so far) actually. I eagerly await the sequel, which if Clarke keeps her pace from Norrell, will be in oh, 2010. view post

posted 09 Mar 2005, 16:03 by Tol h'Eddes, Auditor

From the link below, Amazon.co.uk seems to say that an untitled book, written by her and published by Bloomsbury, will be on sale by September 2005. [url=http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0747580693/qid=1110387114/sr=8-7/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i7_xgl/202-4716646-3548659:2fhkb8du]Title not supplied - Link on amazon[/url:2fhkb8du] Let's hope it's the sequel :) view post

posted 10 Mar 2005, 21:03 by Epitaphs, Candidate

And yet the synopsis is for the first book. Amazon is useless, anyway. Have you seen how many times they've listed GRRM? I mean, really. They're hopes and dreams built on rivers of smoke. And I gave up smoking years ago. view post

posted 10 Mar 2005, 21:03 by gyrehead, Candidate

I believe it is merely the paperback edition of the original work. Which would make sense coming out a year later. view post

posted 10 Mar 2005, 22:03 by Tol h'Eddes, Auditor

Yeah, didn't think about that... But it would make sense, as you said, that this would be the paperback. I was too much optimistic :) As for GRRM, I'm new to his books. Began to read AGoT April 2004. And quickly read the other two. So, if FFC comes out this summer, I would have waited a little longer than a year. But, I don't expect it before fall or winter. By the way, when did GRRM began working on FFC? 2003? view post

posted 20 Mar 2005, 11:03 by Ainulindale, Commoner

I absolutely loved [b:830bkqvk]Clarke's[/b:830bkqvk], Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell, highly recommended. Absolutely the best book I read last year, and perhaps the best fantasy novel I read since either[u:830bkqvk] Perdido Street Station [/u:830bkqvk]or [u:830bkqvk]Secret Life[/u:830bkqvk]. I reviewed it [url=http://www.fantasybookspot.com/?q=node/view/117:830bkqvk]Here[/url:830bkqvk]if anyone wants to discuss thougths on it phenominal read IMHO. view post

posted 08 May 2005, 15:05 by Tol h'Eddes, Auditor

[quote="Ainulindale":16qh8zfc]I absolutely loved [b:16qh8zfc]Clarke's[/b:16qh8zfc], Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell, highly recommended. Absolutely the best book I read last year, and perhaps the best fantasy novel I read since either[u:16qh8zfc] Perdido Street Station [/u:16qh8zfc]or [u:16qh8zfc]Secret Life[/u:16qh8zfc]. I reviewed it [url=http://www.fantasybookspot.com/?q=node/view/117:16qh8zfc]Here[/url:16qh8zfc]if anyone wants to discuss thougths on it phenominal read IMHO.[/quote:16qh8zfc] Quite a good review you wrote. I agree that [i:16qh8zfc]Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell[/i:16qh8zfc] was, by far, one of the greatest fantasy novel published in 2004. It definitively was refreshing, giving a new breath to a style where, often, the same old stories are always told. I did like the way the narrator seems taken directly out of a Charles Dickens' book. I say Dickens, but I think it permeates all book written in this era. He (she?) brings the warmth and the witticism often found in 19th century books. As for the footnotes bringing the novel into context, I was disconcerted at first, but after reading the firsts, I was completely hooked. The sheer amount of information they give about the background story is impressive. Like I said earlier, there is a lot of work behind these 800-pages. As for your review, if I may just suggest something. There is a error, two-thirds in the review. You say : [quote:16qh8zfc]Norrell is old, cautious, and can be described as anti-social, alone, [i:16qh8zfc]Norrell[/i:16qh8zfc] is young, comely, ambitious, and married.[/quote:16qh8zfc] I don't know if someone already told you, but I will take my chance :) Anyway, it was a good review! view post

posted 09 May 2005, 19:05 by Andrew, Peralogue

wow, i'm surprised by these comments. I was majorly disappointed by the book. I too was totally stoked to get it but unlike other reviewers, i was tragically disappointed. The magic was entirely boring and written about without any sense of awe or that something incredible was happening. It's like: "Strange decided to move the city by magic. so he did." ohh!! ahh!! There was practically no plot at all. ohhhhh norrell and strange are mad at each other! whatever shall become of English Magic?? who shall shape the future of English Magic?? my toes are tingling in wonder!! Should the new magicians follow in the footsteps of the Raven King?????!!!!? OR NOT????? which will it be??? Everything that could have been interesting was glossed over and barely discussed! eg. raven king appearing again; Strange's journey's/experiences after seeing his wife in lost hope; the war etc. The thistle-down hair fairy seemed continously poised to do something interesting and then he gets offed in the stupidest most implausible way (mainly because of the timing issue). anyway, i could go on but there's no point. i'm glad some people liked it, but i just want people to know it is not universally loved. view post

posted 09 May 2005, 21:05 by H, Auditor

[quote="Andrew":1zmo6qle]wow, i'm surprised by these comments. I was majorly disappointed by the book. I too was totally stoked to get it but unlike other reviewers, i was tragically disappointed. The magic was entirely boring and written about without any sense of awe or that something incredible was happening. It's like: "Strange decided to move the city by magic. so he did." ohh!! ahh!![/quote:1zmo6qle] Wow, here i thought i was the only one who didn't like this book! I completely agree, anytime the story got interesting, as if you were going to whitness somehting amazing happening, it came down to a drab descrition of the effect. [quote="Andrew":1zmo6qle]There was practically no plot at all. ohhhhh norrell and strange are mad at each other! whatever shall become of English Magic?? who shall shape the future of English Magic?? my toes are tingling in wonder!! Should the new magicians follow in the footsteps of the Raven King?????!!!!? OR NOT????? which will it be??? Everything that could have been interesting was glossed over and barely discussed! eg. raven king appearing again; Strange's journey's/experiences after seeing his wife in lost hope; the war etc. The thistle-down hair fairy seemed continously poised to do something interesting and then he gets offed in the stupidest most implausible way (mainly because of the timing issue).[/quote:1zmo6qle] And the two most interesting chacters Childermas and the homeless magician (i can't recall his name) recieved almost no development and played second fiddle ot the drap chacters in the forefront. [quote="Andrew":1zmo6qle]anyway, i could go on but there's no point. i'm glad some people liked it, but i just want people to know it is not universally loved.[/quote:1zmo6qle] Indeed. I seriosuly contemplated putting it down at least 5 or 6 times. All that saved it however was that i really had nothing else left to read at the time. view post

posted 09 May 2005, 22:05 by Tol h'Eddes, Auditor

[quote="Andrew":rzijzaex]wow, i'm surprised by these comments. I was majorly disappointed by the book. I too was totally stoked to get it but unlike other reviewers, i was tragically disappointed. The magic was entirely boring and written about without any sense of awe or that something incredible was happening. It's like: "Strange decided to move the city by magic. so he did." ohh!! ahh!! There was practically no plot at all. ohhhhh norrell and strange are mad at each other! whatever shall become of English Magic?? who shall shape the future of English Magic?? my toes are tingling in wonder!! Should the new magicians follow in the footsteps of the Raven King?????!!!!? OR NOT????? which will it be??? Everything that could have been interesting was glossed over and barely discussed! eg. raven king appearing again; Strange's journey's/experiences after seeing his wife in lost hope; the war etc. The thistle-down hair fairy seemed continously poised to do something interesting and then he gets offed in the stupidest most implausible way (mainly because of the timing issue). anyway, i could go on but there's no point. i'm glad some people liked it, but i just want people to know it is not universally loved.[/quote:rzijzaex] Yeah, I know, it wasn't loved by everyone. But no book should be. If a book is loved in its entirety, by everyone, I think there is a problem. Every book has flaws. And everyone has opinions. For my part, I didn't read JS&MrN in one sitting. It took me more than one month. And I, sometimes, did find the first part tedious. But, a book should not just be loved for its story. It should be loved for all the works the author has put in. And I believe that there is a lot of works in this one. The narrator, the footnotes, the structure of the book, everything breathe of 19th. Clarke must have worked long and hard just to give the reader that feeling. But as I said, no book should be loved by everyone. And every comments are welcome :) view post

posted 12 May 2005, 19:05 by Jassur'i'àn, Commoner

Hi there - I'm new here and I hope my thoughts on this don't make me too disagreeable. :) I was very disappointed in JS&MN too. There were a number of times I felt poised on the edge of something very exciting and then it just sputtered out. As already said, some of the more interesting characters were not really developed at all and had disappointing exits. I was really intrigued by Vinculus, especially the idea that he was the book, and the Raven King. I was hoping to find out more about them and why they were in the story. The plot also meandered in a way that I couldn't appreciate. At the end of the book, I felt like I had been on a journey but I wasn't really sure where I'd been or what I'd seen there. I can certainly appreciate her hard work though. I have a lot of respect for the details that she included in the book and the details around the some of the magic. I guess it just wasn't really to my taste. I didn't know she was coming out with another book. Is it more about Norrell and Strange or is it something new? view post

posted 12 May 2005, 21:05 by Tol h'Eddes, Auditor

[quote="Jassur'i'àn":2a9kz1wd]I didn't know she was coming out with another book. Is it more about Norrell and Strange or is it something new?[/quote:2a9kz1wd] Hey ! Greetings ! From what she said, it will be a sequel, sort of. There will be new characters and some old one may come back for cameo. It will take off some years after JS&MrN. As for the new characters, all we know for now is that they will, most likely, be based-born. No more noble or rich main characters in the next book. Now, when will it comes out? No idea. The first one took her 10 years... view post

posted 28 May 2005, 15:05 by Murrin, Peralogue

Read this book a month back, and enjoyed it a lot. There's not much out there that's quite like it, and I liked the break from the usual run of novel. The footnotes really added an extra dimension to the story, I think. Liked the character of Jonathan Strange a lot. Good news if she's writing more. view post

posted 19 Mar 2006, 16:03 by Nikodemus, Commoner

I read this book during a holiday weekend and I really enjoyed it... I don´t really know what was fun. Just that it was. view post

posted 22 Apr 2006, 21:04 by DarkMatter, Peralogue

I loved the book. I think it's one of the best new fantasy books I've seen in a very long time. The style was quite different than I'm used to but I liked it a lot, these kind of books don't usually hold my attention for very long, but I could hardly stop when I began. I hope that she'll write more. view post

•  

The Three Seas Forum archives are hosted and maintained courtesy of Jack Brown.