Three Seas Forum

the archives

dusted off in read-only

•  

This is a bit off topic... posted 12 October 2009 in The Judging EyeThis is a bit off topic... by Athjeari, Peralogue

but this is the most active board, so I figure the chances I'll get a response are best if I post here.

I have a question, I am looking for the part within the The Prince of Nothing in which Achamian is talking to a young Proyas and Achamian is talking to him about questioning things.

Proyas says something along the lines, "So are you saying the Tusk is lying to us?"
Achamian replies, "I don't know."

And it goes on to say that Achamian was asked to leave Proyas' household the very next day.

Does anyone know which book I could find this part in? If you could give a page number that would be splendid, but even just the book title would be a big help right now.

TO keep this topic more in line with the board, does anyone have any idea when a paperback version of The Judging Eye is planned to be released? view post

This is a bit off topic... posted 12 October 2009 in The Judging EyeThis is a bit off topic... by anor277, Didact

I think it's from The Prince of Nothing, and Achamian goes on to praise the value of doubt (dubiety?, which is the right noun?); can't oblige with a page number sorry. As regards the paperback version of TJE, I assume this is distinct from the trade paperback (whatever that is); I saw one (TPB) in our local bookstore this morning. view post

This is a bit off topic... posted 12 October 2009 in The Judging EyeThis is a bit off topic... by Athjeari, Peralogue

anor277, thank you for the response but I already know it's from The Prince of Nothing. I was hoping that someone would be able to tell me the specific book. Is it from, TDTCB, TWP, or TTT? I am trying to look for this specific section for a class I am teaching.

I suppose I needed to be more clear about the paper back question. Yes, I was referring to the trade paper back, and I am really excited that you already have seen the trade paper back. view post

This is a bit off topic... posted 12 October 2009 in The Judging EyeThis is a bit off topic... by anor277, Didact

Sorry, A. I must be going loopy. The scene is from the first novel, TDTCB, that's what I meant to say yesterday. DUUUUH.

The trade paperback was in a university bookstore in Sydney, and I think it's been there for a long time.

ETA: I just had a quick glance thru The Darkness that Comes Before (Orbit, 2007 paperback), and I couldn't find the passage for which you're looking. The closest I could find was Chapter 15 (entitled Momenn, p 477 in above edition) where Proyas summons Achamian to his court for advice regarding Kellhus and CnaiƱr. If I'm mistaken then maybe the passage is in The Warrior Prophet when Achamian begins to entertain doubts as to Kellhus' identity. I'm sorry I haven't been much help. Hopefully, someone here will know precisely where the passage is. view post

This is a bit off topic... posted 13 October 2009 in The Judging EyeThis is a bit off topic... by ThePrinceofNothing, Candidate

I've been rereading bits from The Darkness That Comes Before (a bit haphazardly, mind you) and haven't come across the passage you're looking for. I would venture that it's not in the first book (wherein Achamian hasn't quite developed to his full skepticism yet), but possibly in the second, as anor suggested. I'm sorry that I couldn't be more specific either, but I am pretty sure it's not in the first book. view post

This is a bit off topic... posted 14 October 2009 in The Judging EyeThis is a bit off topic... by anor277, Didact

@Athjeari, it seems I was mistaken. I think the passage you want is in Chapter 17 of The Warrior Prophet (Orbit paperback, 2008, chapter begins p 445, relevant passage is p 457,........"Are you saying the Tusk lies?"................). It was Proyas' reminiscence and not Achamian's. At the time Achamian was in the hands of the Scarlet Schoolmen, and Proyas has just received a message from Maithanet advising him to assist Drusas Achamian.

@PON I'm still trying to write something in response to your Cormac McCarthy thread, everything I write is naive or self-evident or both! view post

This is a bit off topic... posted 17 October 2009 in The Judging EyeThis is a bit off topic... by Athjeari, Peralogue

Thanks for the help guys.

I was able to find the passage.

I love that part. view post

•  

The Three Seas Forum archives are hosted and maintained courtesy of Jack Brown