Three Seas Forum

the archives

dusted off in read-only

•  

Gnostism posted 29 July 2009 in General DiscusssionGnostism by BobbyR, Commoner

Surely someone has looked this up already, and if its on the board somewhere forgive me.

But I looked up Gnostism on Wikipedia. Some of the stuff on there feels kind of familiar. First, there is apparently a symbol or emblem for Gnostism, and it looks just like the Circumfix (as Bakker describes it).

Second, the description in the article reminded me of a few things that Kellhus said, to Achamian, I believe. "Gnostic systems are typically marked out by: 1) The notion of a remote, supreme monadic divinity - this figure is known under a variety of names, including 'Pleroma' and 'Bythos' (Greek: Βυθός, "deep");
2) The introduction by emanation of further divine beings, which are nevertheless identifiable as aspects of the God from which they proceeded; the progressive emanations are often conceived metaphorically as a gradual and progressive distancing from the ultimate source, which brings about an instability in the fabric of the divine nature..."

I don't have the wording completely accurate from the PON but, Kellhus says in the TTT "How could the God be anything other than remote?"
And these quotes from the Wikipedia article: Gnostism comprises of "various belief systems generally united in the teaching that humans are divine souls trapped in a material world created by an imperfect god..." and "The gnōsis referred to in the term is a form of revealed, esoteric knowledge through which the spiritual elements of humanity are reminded of their true origins within the superior Godhead, being thus permitted to escape materiality..."

Those last two quotes remind me of Kellhus's explanation that everyone's soul is a piece of the God (or something like that), and the Few are those who remember the Gods voice (or something like that).

Its fun to just take in Bakker's world on its own right, but its also fun to consider whether or not stuff like this inspired his world as well. view post

Gnostism posted 10 August 2009 in General DiscusssionGnostism by Jerako, Candidate

You're absolutely right. I think Scott is definately a student of Gnosticism, or at least Platonic philosophies. Many, many of his philosophies that appear in his books have strong parallels to Gnosticism. Especially if this super-consciousness idea of "the God" and sorcery turn out to be the way he goes.

The idea that we are all God, and share many abilities/traits, is the fundamental belief of Gnosticism, indeed, the very "secret knowledge" from which the sect derived their name. view post

•  

The Three Seas Forum archives are hosted and maintained courtesy of Jack Brown