Three Seas Forum

the archives

dusted off in read-only

•  

The No-God and his carapace posted 21 July 2009 in The Thousandfold ThoughtThe No-God and his carapace by Nerdanel, Peralogue

I've been thinking about the significance of the No-God appearing in a chorae-studded carapace in the middle of the whirlwind. I think it was all very pragmatic.

The benefits:

The whirlwind stops all physical projectiles as well as people trying to get close. It is unknown if this affects people wearing chorae; it might, but on the other hand the whirlwind appears to be a physical effect even if caused by magic.

The fact that the carapace is flying stops anyone wearing a chorae and thus unable to use magic from reaching it.

The hard and thick carapace again stops all material weapons. It also deflects chorae.

The embedded chorae nullify offensive magic from every direction, both against the No-God's person and the carapace.

The result: The No-God is invulnerable to physical melee weapons, physical ranged weapons, magic, and anti-magic. His undoing was that lasers fit into none of those categories...

The drawbacks:

Now this gets more speculative...

I think the metal of the carapace stopped the No-God from using his own physical sight.

I think the eleven chorae served as barriers to the No-God's magical sight of the Onta. I'm not sure what they did to his ability to cast conventional spells, although they sure didn't help. Perhaps chorae just can't handle spells that are powerful enough like the No-God's whirlwind or perhaps they suppress spells in their vicinity but allow them to pass through.

("WHAT DO YOU SEE? I CANNOT SEE.")

I think the problem with the whirlwind was that it was indiscriminate in its effect and had to be aimed away from his own troops in order to avoid friendly casualties, something that was hard to do while blind, not that it mattered that much in the end.

This gets us to the issue of how the No-God was able to navigate around at all under normal circumstances. I think the answer is that he had a third kind of sight available to him. He could reach to the direction of the Outside, bypassing the metal and chorae surrounding him, and from the Outside to the heads of Sranc and similar creatures. He could control what they did and said, and most importantly, see through their eyes.

The drawback of THAT was that if all the suitable creatures in the area found themselves suddenly blinded by, say, a powerful sorcerer casting a simple blindness spell over a whole enemy army, the No-God would have been blinded to the last kind of sight available to him and essentially a sitting duck. I think that's what Seswatha did and why the Sranc clawed their eyes in Achamian's dream.

It's the old story where something seemingly unstoppable turns out to have a small but fatal weak spot. In this case the No-God could have avoided his defeat if he had been aware of the problem, but it looks like he failed to consider all possible factors.

(And yes, I think the No-God would likely be salted on direct contact with a chorae. I think he would explode in a shower of salt much like a Ciphrang, since I think he's basically the same type of being, just far more powerful than the sort Iyokus can summon.) view post

•  

The Three Seas Forum archives are hosted and maintained courtesy of Jack Brown