Three Seas Forum

the archives

dusted off in read-only

•  

Terrorist or Freedom Fighter? posted 14 June 2009 in Philosophy DiscussionTerrorist or Freedom Fighter? by luciferi, Candidate

With the current and recent past events that have happened since 911, a lot of condoned racism against muslims and arabs have developed without any "real" understanding of culture or religions. But, stuff like this has been happening all over the world. Acts of "terror" by many several factions or groups have been committed countless times. Are the people that take part in these acts terrorists, or freedom fighters? Is this even a good question, because the answer can very well possibly be both yes and no depending on which side you ask. Who was it who said "if you win its a revolution, if you lose its an insurrection"? The definitions of terrorist and terrorism are as follows:
"Terrorist"- a person who terrorizes or frightens others.
"Terrorism"- the use of violence and threats to intimidate or coerce, esp. for political purposes. / a terrorist method of governing.
By this could you consider George Washington a terrorist? Or is he a freedom fighter? Or are all freedom fighters terrorist? What about the US? Could the US be considered a terrorist nation? Here is my argument that yes, the US can be considered terrorist:
We are taught to live in fear. Fear of crime, disease, weather, the future, etc, etc, etc. Our judicial system is screwed up so the public is forced to buy locks, alarms, guns, and all manners of safety devices because the system in place doesn't work. The crime problem gets bigger and not a whole lot of things have been done to find a better way to treat criminals and prevent crime and recidivism. Lately that has been changing, but people are still afraid to go out and sit at a park in the middle of the night. The government allies with the media to always give us something to worry about. Do you remember Y2K? That was the biggest joke ever. An earlier example of fear was eugenicism (is that the proper term? I'm not sure so correct me if I'm wrong). It basically became a science and many big members of society supported it. But, oh no, WWII happens, and then nobody even wants to remember that they supported it. Then there was Chernobyl. The long lasting effects of that was supposed to kill so many people and only really affected a few. It was even proven that a lot of people ended up dying, because they thought they were doomed already. This 9/11 thing to. Apparently all Arabs are terrorists and are raiding hospitals and killing babies. This was proven to never have happened. Also more recently we have this huge scare of global warming that everybody is buying into. The main consensus is that anybody that doesn't think its real is stupid. Well I guess I'm stupid. There is global warming of a type going on, but it's not man produced. Even more recently was this swine flu epidemic. There was a public high school in the US that disallowed shaking hands at their graduation because of this. C'mon now, I'm pretty sure more people have died from regular flu then swine flu. What the f*** is going on? Are we in the forms of hegemony like that of Orwell's 1984? I don't know whats going on anymore. Who will watch the watchers? view post

•  

The Three Seas Forum archives are hosted and maintained courtesy of Jack Brown