Three Seas Forum

the archives

dusted off in read-only

•  

A P&P RPG for PoN...how would you do it? posted 30 May 2009 in General DiscusssionA P&P RPG for PoN...how would you do it? by Kellais, Commoner

I am an enthusiastic roleplayer and i think the world of Earwa would be an interesting place to set a game in (obivously, as it was an rpg setting for Scott's own sessions in the beginning).

So how would you do it? More precisely: what rules would you use (systems you think would fit)? Would you allow players to be sorcerers, nonman? In which time-period of Earwa would you set your game in?

Feel free to talk about everything that comes to your mind in regards to a PoN RPG.

Atm i think i would give the rules from Greg Stolze's Reign (ORE) a try for this. The players i would restrict to humans, no nonmen. A sorcerer is very powerful, so i'm not sure if it would be a good idea to allow players to take on that role. If at all, i think the player would have to be a mandate-schoolman...that generates interesting plot-hooks (Seswatha and the dreams). As for the time-period...i think setting it right before the events of PoN would be interesting. Or in the time-span between PoN and AE. A game during the first apocalypse would also be intriguing but we do not have a lot of information on it, so the GM would have to fill a lot of holes by himself. view post

A P&P RPG for PoN...how would you do it? posted 22 July 2009 in General DiscusssionA P&P RPG for PoN...how would you do it? by Nerdanel, Peralogue

I'm going to base this post on D&D since that's what I'm familiar with and because it fits.

Base game

Eärwa seems most compatible with D&D 3.0 but 3.5 has various minor fixes.

I recommend using 3.5 but un-nerfing Whirlwind Attack to its 3.0 glory and possibly even beyond. Whirlwind Attack has steep prerequisites anyway. We should allow it to be combined with other feats, if for nothing else than to have fighting like a Kellhus (Whirlwind Attack + Flurry of Blows) a theoretical possibility.

Just go to the trouble of specifically forbidding the bag of rats Whirlwind Attack exploit if you have the sort of players that like to do that kind of thing.

[url=http://www.d20srd.org/index.htm:2r8zyt4m]A handy reference[/url:2r8zyt4m]

General

Eärwa is a low-magic setting. Even a simple +1 sword would be a huge deal to acquire and something even the Great Names of the Three Seas wouldn't normally own. Witches and Nonmen are the only ones with the skill to create magic items of any sort. Of the two, the witches are decidedly underground and usually low level, while the Nonmen are few, far away, and not interested in selling.

As often happens in low magic settings, magic is the king. The chorae are the sole counter to that. Chorae nullify all magic that would affect the target as long as they touch the skin as well as all magic that would affect themselves. If they touch someone with caster levels they deal 1d6 desiccation damage per caster level SQUARED, explaining why Inrau survived the touch while most sorcerers would have no chance of surviving.

Dûnyain

Treat the Dûnyain race as humans with the Paragon template.

The Dûnyain class is an improved version of the weak, weaker, weakest Monk class. A Dûnyain is basically a Lawful Evil Monk who can use Flurry of Blows with a longsword and also has access to some low-level psionic effects. There may be other buffs too, such as a full base attack bonus and more skill points.

Class skills of the Dûnyain include Bluff, Diplomacy, Intimidate, Concentration, Autohypnosis, and Knowledge (any), among others.

Dûnyain commonly use psionic powers like Offensive Precognition, Defensive Precognition, Offensive Prescience, Detect Hostile Intent, Psionic Charm, Mindlink, Read Thoughts, Psionic Suggestion, Call to Mind, Conceal Thoughts and along those lines. They are completely unaware that what they're doing is actually a form of magic with themselves as the source instead of the Outside, so that they are unaffected by Chorae.

Probability trance is equated with Psionic Focus. Dûnyain can take psionic feats that allow them to expend their Psionic Focus for combat advantages.

Magic

Magic is the aspect of the rules that needs the most tweaking and has the most room for interpretation.

Some people in Eärwa are born with the gift for magic (manifests as permanencied Arcane Sight, except for the glowing eyes part). This requires taking a feat at the first level.

Anagogis:

Treat as Wizards who cast with Wisdom.

Spells are a subset of D&D spells reflavored to fit. For example, Fireball now has a dragon's head added to it.

Gnosis:

Treat as Sorcerers who cast with Intelligence and have no limit to spells known.

Spells are more powerful than D&D spells of a particular level. Gnosis users are able to use Arcane Fire like Archmages, but possibly with higher damage per spell level converted. They also have an ability analogous to Arcane Fire that allows them to form a protective shield around them from pure spell energy.

Psûkhe

Treat as Psions who cast with Charisma.

Their spell list needs serious overhauling. Their offensive powers tend to require making a ranged touch attack to hit (using Wisdom to modify to-hit), making them slightly unreliable, especially when combined with the poor base attack bonus progression.

Cishaurim have a 360-degree vision due to their snake familiars, making them impossible to flank and giving them the Alertness feat for free, but if the snakes are killed they become truly blind (except to magical auras) as well as suffering from backlash shock.

Other classes

Fighter: Very common and unchanged.

Rogue: Common and unchanged.

Barbarian: The class of choice for the Scylvendi.

Paladin: The Shrial Knights would be that in theory, except at the current state of things they are a knighthood of fallen paladins and blackguards and no one has any idea.

Cleric: Exists, but requires rare faith. Most people calling themselves priests are just Experts.

Bard: Rare since the fall of the Ancient North.

Monk: Rare since the fall of the Ancient North.

Player options

Players probably want to be on a similar power level, separating caster campaigns from non-caster campaigns, but that isn't required.

Eärwa offers many different options for adventure. Characters can play roleplay-heavy campaigns set in the courts of the Three Seas or go dungeon-crawling in the ruins of the Ancient North or anything in the between. I'm sure you can come up with the ideas.

For people with the feat that makes them one of the Few, there are many options for different corresponding to the different factions:
- Fight evil in the Mandate (in your timeline the Consult may not have vanished)
- Fight good in the Consult
- Fight for the emperor's empire in the Imperial Saik
- Fight for your own empire in the Scarlet Spires
- Hunt down the infidels for the Church and take levels as a cleric
- Be an "infidel" to the above in the Cishaurim
- Do missions for whoever pays best in the Mysunsai
- Or even become an independent Wizard if you manage to anger your own faction or want to start a game where everyone is against you

The players' choice of faction determines their game's general power level and who their enemies are. view post

A P&P RPG for PoN...how would you do it? posted 23 July 2009 in General DiscusssionA P&P RPG for PoN...how would you do it? by Jerako, Candidate

That is fantastic! I think I'm going to borrow that for a couple of test sessions at least. You have obviously thought that out, and all of that makes perfect sense, and shouldn't be hard to use at all. Thank you!

-edit-
I just thought of one more thing though - Conjuration, with everything but healing - I think it should be restricted to high level magic users, within the Scarlet Spires, or maybe the witches (who are usually too low level to do anything crazy with it). And healing, of course, is the realm of the Divine Spellcasters (wherever they are). view post

•  

The Three Seas Forum archives are hosted and maintained courtesy of Jack Brown