Three Seas Forum

the archives

dusted off in read-only

•  

Sarl posted 30 April 2009 in The Judging EyeSarl by unJon1, Commoner

Sarl is a skin-spy. This much is obvious.

Discuss. view post

Sarl posted 04 May 2009 in The Judging EyeSarl by Triskele, Candidate

unJon - I think I know you from somewhere...

Besides noting that Scott focuses on Sarl's face a few times (not a bad observation on your part) do you have more evidence?

Aren't most skin spies better fighters than most non-Dunyain humans? Wouldn't Sarl have fucked shit up in Cil-Aujas if we were a skin spy? Or would he not want to in order to hide his identity? view post

Sarl posted 04 May 2009 in The Judging EyeSarl by Harrol, Moderator

Also Sarl had a nervous break down and received a weepers scar on his face from Iron Soul. I believe a slash to the face would cause the false face to shift a little. view post

Sarl posted 05 May 2009 in The Judging EyeSarl by Triskele, Candidate

Quote: "Harrol":23ofufyw
Also Sarl had a nervous break down and received a weepers scar on his face from Iron Soul. I believe a slash to the face would cause the false face to shift a little.[/quote:23ofufyw]

That's a good point. I feel like Sarl just has too much of a personality. I guess we don't know exactly "who" these skin spies are but I feel like they were pretty bland in PoN. The Thing Called Sarcellus is the one we see the most of and Sarl is just nothing like him. view post

Sarl posted 24 May 2009 in The Judging EyeSarl by Firestorm896, Commoner

It was the . . . Magi Nonmen who fought the Inchori, right? Banned their "magic"? And aren't skin spies .. . a magic of the Inchori? So one would think that Cleric would be able to determine if Sarl was a skin spy .. . view post

Sarl posted 25 May 2009 in The Judging EyeSarl by anor277, Didact

Quote: "Firestorm896":145hl1r2
It was the . . . Magi Nonmen who fought the Inchori, right? Banned their "magic"? And aren't skin spies .. . a magic of the Inchori? So one would think that Cleric would be able to determine if Sarl was a skin spy .. .[/quote:145hl1r2]
As far as we know, all of the Non-Men fought the Inchoroi (save the renegade practitioners of "Aporetic" sorcery - who might have taught a few Inchoroi how to conjure). The skin spies are specifically non-magical artefacts, produced by Inchoroi technology; a Non-Man thus has no special ability to detect them. Somewhere in TTT Aurang mentioned that they had placed agents (i.e. skinspies) in Ishterebinth, the last inhabited Non-Man mansion.

ETA: On topic, I don't see any reason to suppose that Sarl is a skin-spy. view post

Sarl posted 03 February 2011 in The Judging EyeSarl by Gothmog, Commoner

I disagree with Sarl being a skinspy.

Most definitely an unbalanced character, whose only hinge seems to be the Captain.
The essence of his disorderly facial expressions seemed to condense in one description - "even while his expressions were correct, the underlying passions were all wrong" - it's not an exact quote, but close enough. Also, a lot of the time he's the agressive angry hound dogging someone, i rather think sustaining that much anger for so long isn't in the domain of sane people.

He becomes only more interesting after the Slog of all slogs. Despite his insistent upholding of Rules of the Slog, they most definitely shatter and are discarded in the madness of Cil-Aujas. Remember all the help the unconcious Achamian and also Mimara received. Sarl became a weeper.
More than that, after escape from the depths, there's high chance of him possessing the eye in his heart, such as Achamian found on the surviving weeper they found inside.

Seemingly, no one is in a hurry to enforce Rules of the slog anymore, so this gives us a good starting point for speculations as to what happens to him now. view post

Sarl posted 12 February 2011 in The Judging EyeSarl by Madness, Peralogue

I'm sure Achamian and the Skin Eaters will continue on more or less intact as a group. The sanity and that dynamic will probably play out in interesting ways though, considering Mimira almost got raped by some of the Skin Eaters before Achamian intervened.

I like your speculation, Gothmog. I'm sorry to tell you that you are, unfortunantly, talking to a huge conceptual abyss, as this forum doesn't receive a lot of hits anymore. Perhaps, you'll be the stone that brings the members back. I like some of your Dunyain speculations. Specifically, that Moenghus wasn't neccessarily contacting the Few of the Dunyain and that, obviously, we don't know what the Dunyain as a whole actually do or do not know about sorcery - though I lean to the side of knowledge of it only in myth, perhaps, as Kellhus seems to hint in the prologue of the Darkness that Comes Before that the Dunyain said sorcery wasn't real, implying perhaps, that they used it as an example of delusions of Earwa.

Anyhow, lol, Peace. I don't know how many replies you'll get. view post

•  

The Three Seas Forum archives are hosted and maintained courtesy of Jack Brown