Three Seas Forum

the archives

dusted off in read-only

•  

Oddities in The Judging Eye posted 20 March 2009 in The Judging EyeOddities in The Judging Eye by ThePrinceofNothing, Candidate

There are several points about The Judging Eye that I find to be odd.

For starters, Bakker's trademark "What Has Come Before" appears at the end of the novel. Granted, I found it anyway because I flipped back to see if he included any kind of supplementary information; but still, shouldn't this come as more of an introduction?

Secondly, there is a profound distance in the book from Kellhus and his followers. Where are the narratives involving Proyas, or even Kellhus himself? I certainly hope the next few installments give us some insight. I admit that Sorweel and the Cult of Yatwer are interesting narratives, but they create a distance and inherent prejudice against The Great Ordeal. I admit to personally wanting to see Kellhus proved false, but I also admire him as a character. The story in The Judging Eye seems to be leveling itself drastically against the Anasurimbors.

Thirdly, and not so much an oddity, but interesting; Bakker has admitted to being influenced by Tolkien, but in this book we see parallels so blatant that they almost slap you in the face; the "Black Halls," the battles with sranc and bashrag (or, orcs and cave trolls), the "dead king beneath the mountain"... all these elements were utilized in The Lord of the Rings.

Also, did anyone else catch the Cormac McCarthy influence? I'm sure we all remember Bakker's introductory quote in The Darkness That Comes Before which he lifted from McCarthy's Blood Meridian. Well, now in The Judging Eye we're introduced to a band of, what? Yes, scalpers, who are led by nothing more than a very ominous, brutal warmonger, and a mysterious, almost otherworldly pale-skinned being.

This book is like The Lord of the Rings meets Blood Meridian. I loved the book, don't get me wrong; Bakker always manages to insert his own unique voice and talent into what he writes. However, this book definitely pales in comparison, I believe, to the previous trilogy. I recall reading somewhere that Bakker claimed this trilogy would almost "mirror" the first one, in a way. He has said that where the first book in his Prince of Nothing Trilogy was the longest, the final insallment of the Aspect-Emperor Trilogy will be the longest. I'm hoping, since The Thousandfold Thought was my least favorite of the first trilogy, and The Darkness That Comes Before was my favorite, this final trilogy will prove the opposite.

Does anyone else have any other queries or comments regarding strange elements that they noticed while reading the book? view post

Oddities in The Judging Eye posted 21 March 2009 in The Judging EyeOddities in The Judging Eye by lfex, Peralogue

I loved the LotR meets Blood Meridian aspect. I guess I am just a sucker for po-mo literary games. Besides, it also means that Cleric is both Gandalf and Judge Holden - something I would never believed to be possible.

Also, Scott mentioned in some interview that he reduced number of POVs in TJE after reading A Feast for Crows, since he feared falling into the never ending series trap, which harmed so many fantasy series. view post

Oddities in The Judging Eye posted 22 March 2009 in The Judging EyeOddities in The Judging Eye by Landrew, Candidate

there will be a profound distance between Kellus and his followers. Then he was northern prince - seer - prophet - war lord - mighty sorcerer - aspect emperor. He had to climb the chain. He had to 'win friends and influence people'. He had to learn the ropes. Now he is a god, all powerful sorcerer, emperor of the world. He's not going to need to sit by the fire with the likes of Proyas. Also, by making him more distant Bakker keeps his true objectives and aims hidden from us. view post

•  

The Three Seas Forum archives are hosted and maintained courtesy of Jack Brown