Three Seas Forum

the archives

dusted off in read-only

•  

Damnation (spoilers) posted 05 February 2009 in The Judging EyeDamnation (spoilers) by Callan S., Auditor

I'm not sure I'm really into the idea of damnation. I'll say that when Mimara looked at Akka with the judging eye and saw him withered and everything, it snapped into place that it wasn't figurative damnation, but some sort of actual state.

But as much as it snapped in, it snapped out again.

How to describe it? If it's something that can be seen, why should I call it damnation?

It was the idea of damnation before but then bang, she can see damnation..my gosh its not an idea anymore, it's real, it's real and...waitaminute! So she would call it damnation - why should I?

I think Scott wanted to get at a world where the subjective idea of good and evil is actual objective truth. But I wonder if he'll be probing the idea of intellect pressed against that - something that finds no inherent truth in someone elses mere assertion? I mean, even more than he has/might have already done, hehe! view post

Damnation (spoilers) posted 06 February 2009 in The Judging EyeDamnation (spoilers) by Will, Peralogue

I dunno, it looks like damnation through the Judging Eye. Why would the objective mind doubt that it is as it seems? You can't go doubting your senses without getting into the Great Deceiver loop. view post

Damnation (spoilers) posted 16 February 2009 in The Judging EyeDamnation (spoilers) by Callan S., Auditor

It looks like damnation? What does damnation actually look like? If you got one hundred people to independently draw a picture of a damned person, would they all draw the same thing?

Also that seems a terrible dycotomy - I either believe what I first see it as, or I enter some great deciever loop. So therefore I must believe that what I think something is, is what it is.

I remember an example Richard Dawkins gave of, as a child, seeing a terrible, baneful face in a window...but upon closer inspection it was just a twist in the curtains.

Also after writing this, I considered how Mimara looked through a trinket and saw something completely opposite from the void most schoolmen feel. I'm wondering if in future books she'll look at Akka, see through him and see something completely opposite... view post

•  

The Three Seas Forum archives are hosted and maintained courtesy of Jack Brown