Three Seas Forum

the archives

dusted off in read-only

•  

Why was Khellus.... posted 08 August 2008 in Author Q & AWhy was Khellus.... by Chirios, Candidate

Able to b*tch-slap the Nonman so thoroughly? I get that he's supposed to have these reflexes and whatever, but the Nonmen evolved on a completely different line than humans; shouldn't they be able to do some stuff that humans can't? So, shouldn't the Nonman have had some skill that Khellus (who had never before encountered another sentient species) couldn't defend against? And, since the Nonmen have been practicing magic for millions of years, why has their craft not evolved over time? Instead of throwing Khellus into a tree, why didn't the Nonman just rip him to pieces? And there's the fact that this Nonman has been fighting for years, and so should be seriously deadly with his sword, super-reflexes or not. view post

Why was Khellus.... posted 08 August 2008 in Author Q & AWhy was Khellus.... by Curethan, Didact

I would refer you to the scene where Kellhus recalls being trained in hand to hand at Ishual. The dunyain practice a form of martial discipline that is directly related to their ability to choose the correct possibiliies from those available rather than reliance on reflexes etc. It relates to their deterministic beliefs having a physical reality in Earwa.

And when Mekeritig breaks out the sorcery, Kellhus runs like a little rabbit. probly the only thing that prevents him from being burned to ashh is the non-man's curiousity/erratic behaviour. view post

Why was Khellus.... posted 11 August 2008 in Author Q & AWhy was Khellus.... by anor277, Didact

As to the Non Men practice of sorcery, it appears to be moribund - developed up to a point and then advances were abandoned. The Non Men were also under a terrible curse; their insularity would not have encouraged research into sorcery. In the modern Three Seas, sorcery itself also does not seem to be amenable to research and investigation. While it is true that the Scarlet Spires "researched" diabolism, the Scarlet Spires, the Saik, etc. were unable to rival or reproduce Gnostic sorcery that was over 5000 years old. The only sorcerous advance in that time was due to the Cishaurim, and again their sorcery was not understood but simply practised.

PS Scott does not frequent these boards anymore. view post

Why was Khellus.... posted 11 August 2008 in Author Q & AWhy was Khellus.... by Nerdanel, Peralogue

I've been thinking that Mekeritrig is actually an important force manipulating events in the shadows (even if he has no clue about his own plans much of the time and has to rely on minions to remind him what he was supposed to be doing). Mekeritrig's enouncter with Kellhus was an unlikely thing, and I don't think it was an accident. I think Mekeritrig's purpose was to test Kellhus strength and also to teach him that Sranc, Nonmen, magic, and the No-God are real, a lesson which would have far-ranging effects on Kellhus's future path and likelihood of survival.

I think Mekeritrig is planning the final defeat of the Inchoroi and is going about it in a very circuitous manner that lets the others do the fighting and dying for him. Humans got the game of benjuka from the Nonmen, after all. view post

Why was Khellus.... posted 02 September 2008 in Author Q & AWhy was Khellus.... by Callan S., Auditor

Quote: "Chirios":1a1t2fdx
Able to b*tch-slap the Nonman so thoroughly? I get that he's supposed to have these reflexes and whatever, but the Nonmen evolved on a completely different line than humans; shouldn't they be able to do some stuff that humans can't? So, shouldn't the Nonman have had some skill that Khellus (who had never before encountered another sentient species) couldn't defend against?[/quote:1a1t2fdx]
Well, dunyain don't practice skill, or atleast ideally they don't, they evaluate each circumstance and decide the shortest path to their goal. I think that's what Scott refers to when at some point he says they are always new - they never repeat a certain practice or skill, they only ever choose and choose and choose.

It's not his range of skill that matters, it's his range of choice that matters. If he hadn't had enough choices he would have retreated from the begining (or possibly died, if he estimated he had more choices than he had - which is what happened in terms of magic - he thought he had choices where magic denied those choices. He almost died/failed mission because of that false estimate). view post

Why was Khellus.... posted 07 November 2008 in Author Q & AWhy was Khellus.... by Athjeari, Peralogue

This is one of my favorite parts of the books. When you read the fight between Kellhus and the Nonman, read how Kellhus is interpreting events.

Kellhus felt himself pressed from a reign of might blows that pushed him back, and back.
"But Kellhus could sense the moment --- although it was far, far thinner than it had been with the Sranc."
"He climbed into that narrow instant, and the unearthly blade fell farther, and farther from its mark; bit deeper into empty air. Then Kellhus's own sword was scoring the dark figure, clipping and prodding the armor, tattering the frim cloak. But he could draw no blood."

When you read this passage it is clear that Kellhus isn't exactly having the easiest time with the Nonman. He fought off a hoard of Sranc and yet this one Nonman was giving him difficulty, and his opportunity to walk the Shortest Path was far, far thinner than it had been while fighting off a hoard of Sranc.

Plus it took Kellhus a while to get the best of him. For awhile Kellhus can't even draw blood. And since Kellhus ran away, I'd argue that Kellhus didn't even win, but actually lost the fight.

The Nonman was laughing at the end of the fight. I don't feel that the Nonman was ever truly worried about it's life. Kellhus might have bested him in martial prowess, but that doesn't mean the Nonman would be beat in a sorcerous dispute. Hasn't it been stated that the Nonmen burn with the Mark so badly that supposedly getting near a "Chorae" will turn them to dust? (something along those lines anyway)
I think the sorcery the Nonmen wield is unlike any we've seen (until Kellhus does two inutterals with an utteral at the end of TTT) view post

Why was Khellus.... posted 29 November 2008 in Author Q & AWhy was Khellus.... by Callan S., Auditor

I'm curious what Kellhus would have done had he known the nonmen was capable of sorcery (or even if he knew sorcery existed to begin with). Cut out the tongue? It's still possible to get information that way...

He lost the fight because of the perpetuated lie his order had embraced for some as yet unexplained reason. And Akka is supposed to be finding that orders home in the new books *shudder*. Still, that means a 'nuke' is heading toward them... view post

•  

The Three Seas Forum archives are hosted and maintained courtesy of Jack Brown