the archives

dusted off in read-only

•  

Problems with Book Reviews posted 27 Aug 2004, 14:08 by Aldarion, Sorcerer-of-Rank

Alric and I recently started a blog for the discussion of issues related to SF/Fantasy and we thought many of you might be interested in two recent entries, especially the latest one, which is on the difficulties of finding a good review. Here's the link: [url:3anpc1qk]http://ofblog.blogspot.com/2004/08/some-problems-i-see-with-reviews.html[/url:3anpc1qk] Let us know what you all think, please :D view post

posted 27 Aug 2004, 16:08 by drosdelnoch, Subdidact

Having read the blog I have to agree with the fact that I hate reviews that just basically tell you the whole plot, what is the point of reading the novel after that. Now I'll admit that when Ive written them before now I'm guilty of not going into great depth about some points (see my review of Cornwell's The Last Kingdom) but I deem mentioning things that appear on the back of the book as fair game, as refering to this doesnt ruin the readers enjoyment as odds are they read this before buying it (you do read the back dont you, not go for the pretty covers. lol) view post

posted 27 Aug 2004, 23:08 by Damaen, Candidate

I dont bother with reviews anymore. I walk around work, often bored, and i pick up books that have interesting titles and covers. You can usually judge a book by its cover (seriously). Thats how i forund The Darkness that Comes Before. Granted i pick up LOTS of books, but meh. I read the inside jacket, that is all. I ignore theback review quotes for the same reason i ignore the reviews online: they are just windy attempts by critics to sound intellectual. I dont need to see a quote by Nora Roberts (shitty romance) on a new hardcover by JD ROBB (mystery, Robert's fake mystery name). Its al fake. People trying to push over themselves or themselves. granted im just talking about the lame 75% of reviews out there but othe rpeople's opinions dont mean anything. You'll have better luck at the amazon or chapters websites looking under the "customers who bought this book also bought.." area. sorry. sorta rambling ehre. view post

posted 27 Aug 2004, 23:08 by Grantaire, Moderator

Well Damaen, you said you work at a bookstore, don't you? That must give you time to peruse more books that a lot of people (not to mention nice discounts :wink: ). I want to work at a bookstore myself, once I can drive. view post

posted 28 Aug 2004, 07:08 by Damaen, Candidate

bookstores are a great place to work. Plus you dont get the ratio of 3 insane teens : normal shoppers. I get the comparitivily intellectual crowd, whereas i can assume that working in a resteraunt or clothing store would suck. books for teh win!11 view post

•  

The Three Seas Forum archives are hosted and maintained courtesy of Jack Brown.