Three Seas Forum

the archives

dusted off in read-only

•  

Mandate spies? posted 18 August 2004 in The Darkness That Comes BeforeMandate spies? by anor277, Didact

The Mandate elders are of the opinion that they have been infiltrated; specifically all their agents are being turned off. They think that one of their number has turned traitor. Now I think that it is reasonable to assume that a skin spy cannot masquerade as a sorceror (because they do not have the sorcerous “stain” that is recognized by other sorcerors). Any ideas as to who it could be? My tip is most likely that sea captain that ferried Achamian from Atyersus to Sumna – a skin spy in this position would have excellent knowledge of where the Mandate’s field agents were deployed and he’d be overlooked by his insignificance. view post

Mandate spies? posted 18 August 2004 in The Darkness That Comes BeforeMandate spies? by Epitaphs, Candidate

I read it more as in the Consult had convinced a Mandate Schoolman that there was no hope of defeating them this time. So the only thing to do would be to join the bad guys. Or maybe they offered wealth, more power, something. Because you're probably right about the skin-changer. But how would a ship's captain be able to find Inrau? And all the other spies?

Is it as simple as just following Achamian around? view post

Mandate spies? posted 19 August 2004 in The Darkness That Comes BeforeMandate spies? by anor277, Didact

That was my impression, that the skin spies were simply tailing the Mandate sorcerors. It's hard to believe that a mandate schoolman could turn traitor, given that each night htey are possessed by the mandate's founder, a sorceror long dead. view post

Mandate spies? posted 19 August 2004 in The Darkness That Comes BeforeMandate spies? by Wil, Head Moderator

Unless the Consult found a way to free the Mandate from their Nightmares view post

Mandate spies? posted 19 August 2004 in The Darkness That Comes BeforeMandate spies? by legatus, Auditor

The notion that Seswatha's dreams of the First Apocalypse have a way of driving Mandate Schoolmen mad is stressed a number of times throughout the books though, and madness and rational decision making don't tend to make good bedfellows. A schoolman whose ability to perceive a distinction between dreams and reality, between past and present is tenuous at best would be a great deal more suseptible to falling headlong into a pit of hopelessness and despair, for example.

Seswatha's dreams might soon become indestinguishable from his own present reality, and the nightly resurrection of the No-God might in turn feel less a memory of warning than the suffocating yoke of inevitability. No matter how many times the mad schoolman relives the bittersweet triumph of striking down Mog-Pharau, he knows the abomination's womb shattering return will surely come to pass before the next dawn. There can be no true victory for our broken, pitiable sorcerer, no escape.

And in his madness, what might the schoolman's solution to his untenable mandate of opposing the Consult and their No-God be? The world will surely fall to ruin no matter what he does, no matter how many times he seems to triumph, so why bother trying to save it at all?

Perhaps he can save himself though. Throw his lot in with the enemy and perhaps he won't suffer the mind rending agonies of his other life again, endured in payment for opposition. Humanity's day might end, true, but surely it was destined to end anyway. You can't cheat fate after all. You can't cheat God's plan; not even a No-God's plan. Why should he suffer with rest of his race in their final days when he's already suffered so much?

Perhaps he doesn't have to.

Perhaps his suffering might come to an end.

Perhaps the Consult can make it all end.

Perhaps... view post

Mandate spies? posted 19 August 2004 in The Darkness That Comes BeforeMandate spies? by Wil, Head Moderator

dramatic, I like it. view post

Mandate spies? posted 19 August 2004 in The Darkness That Comes BeforeMandate spies? by anor277, Didact

I don’t think it necessarily follows that should a Mandati descend into madness he should betray a past and present trust. For the schoolmen of the modern Mandate, the most stinging jibe laid against them was their prating of the “return of Mog”, apparently a tale told to scare children in the modern Three Seas. Why should a Mandati, covertly approached by a Consult agent, betray himself and his school (and the formidable Seswatha) when finally given evidence that the Mandate’s vigil, unappreciated and ridiculed by the rest of the Three Seas, had in fact been worth keeping? Witness Achamian’s stunned elation at the end of the novel when he uncovers the Consult spies view post

But I think a Mandate Schoolman would consider it if it meant a release from the dreams. Especially if his heart was no longer towards the cause anymore, and he felt that it was futile. A promise of freedom can be a very powerful thing, view post

•  

The Three Seas Forum archives are hosted and maintained courtesy of Jack Brown