Three Seas Forum

the archives

dusted off in read-only

•  

Human Hunger posted 11 August 2004 in Philosophy DiscussionHuman Hunger by JustifiedHeretic, Peralogue

This is just going to be a "rolls eyes" thread I'm thinking, but I would like to hear everyones opinions on this.

Humanity is never content with what it is given, so thus our need for more and more, complexity after complexity is born until, we crave for less. For the simple, the plain, because we have crowded our lives with useless complexities that consume at monstrous rates what the Earth cannot reproduce at the same staggering rate, all the while still inwardly wanting more to prove our prowess, our power, our wealth. We say we want to save the world, to help it, to live better, but yesterday I saw a hippy driving an SUV....I mean really if you ahve "Peace on Earth" and "Strive for a Green Planet" bumperstickers on your vehicle, it should not be an SUV!!! In a rather unfortunate turns of events however there is no more to take, only so much can be offered from this world and from mankind itself and once that is gone, what will our hunger for greater, more powerful, more complex tangibles turn to? view post

Human Hunger posted 11 August 2004 in Philosophy DiscussionHuman Hunger by Grantaire, Moderator

Yes, we are a greedy bunch aren't we? I think in some ways you're correct. While we always want more and more, better than we already have, we also have a sort of desire for simplicity. (humans are so damn irrational!) view post

Human Hunger posted 11 August 2004 in Philosophy DiscussionHuman Hunger by JustifiedHeretic, Peralogue

agreed upon, ahhh why cant we be robots??...hmmm...but even in simplicity, if we overuse this, we are stuck with the same problem, even more, smaller, yet amounting to large heaps of useless complexities....GAH why???

I mean a Hippy in an SUV, he even had the long scraggily hair, the unkempt look, the tye-dye shirt, a hair band and a peace sign necklace...GAH!!!! an SUV!!! view post

Human Hunger posted 11 August 2004 in Philosophy DiscussionHuman Hunger by Grantaire, Moderator

Well, humans have their flaws, but greed and overconsumption really must be curbed soon. view post

yes, hopefully view post

Human Hunger posted 12 August 2004 in Philosophy DiscussionHuman Hunger by drosdelnoch, Subdidact

Thats the problem with mankind what one has all want. Still you'd think that the hippy would have known better, for what he paid for he SUV you'd have thought that he'd have gone for a Jag. lol

The other thing is that I think that if we're encouraged to work hard so that we can buy these "luxury" items and that makes us easier to control by governments as well as increasing thier budgets.

One of the things that the UK Government is thinking about doing is increasing fuel tax. Which is great because the damn MP's dont have to pay for the fuel as they can claim it back on government expenses. The bloody stupid fools. Still have to laugh at one guy from the Irish Parliment. They voted to ban smoking in public places such as pubs and this guy was in favour of it. He then got a massive fine and threatened with Jail time when he couldnt light up in the Members bar. The bloody numbnut. view post

Human Hunger posted 13 August 2004 in Philosophy DiscussionHuman Hunger by Grantaire, Moderator

Dros, how do you see personal work ethic for the purchasing of luxury as relating to gov't control and budget? I just don't see the connection. view post

Human Hunger posted 13 August 2004 in Philosophy DiscussionHuman Hunger by drosdelnoch, Subdidact

Just quite a simplistic formula. The more money you earn, the more money the government gets in taxes. You go and spend your money on luxury items such as widescreen TV's for example and the government gets the VAT. The more working the less money that the government hands out in benefits to people and thus the more money they have to spend, which in turn gets more money for the government as those people are then paying the government money out of the thier wages as tax and then buying more luxury items.

Thus the more items available the more money the government gains and the more control there is to be had over the people by occupying thier thoughts with the luxury items. view post

Human Hunger posted 29 July 2006 in Philosophy DiscussionHuman Hunger by Iago, Candidate

human hunger?

let them eat cake? nah, that's too easy.

in a literal sense (here I mean food), perhaps the Thorne corporation from Omen II had the right idea? of course, the worthless eaters (an affectionate term for sub-saharan africans) and others like them probably have no way to actually PAY for the food.... hmm.... since people on the verge of death by starvation are really just on a prolonged involuntary fast, perhaps around their 40th day they will get a lucky visitor who might offer to make bread from the stones around them. hey, don't rule it out, it happened at least once before. not exactly like i said it, but pretty close...

but you didn't mean hunger to just be a biological need for food, did you? technology is a wonderful thing, and in the not too distant future it just might be that we find ouselves with all our basic needs so readily met that we have heaps of extra time to try to gratify our other hungers. what will we do then? perhaps we will follow the lead of dear old uncle Tiberious and "hunger" for the flesh of children, haha! oops! did I confuse jaded, hedonistic hunger with biological hunger again? damnit!

although the modern troubador, Glenn Danzing, ran out of insightful things to say about his spiritual condition long ago, in his youth he penned a catchy little tune titled, "The Hungry End" that might be a preview of what we have to look forward to. or we can always look back to the serpent of the world, eating his tail (yummy!), which pretty much hints at the same thing. Or for those of you familiar with the initial fate of Raistlin (don't pretend like you don't know who I am talking about, you are friendless fantasy geeks, remember?) before his brother went back and meddled, maybe that condition is what we have to all look forward to, carrying our hells around with us everywhere....

so.....

gorge yourselves now kiddos! it gets awfully empty, dark, and cold when it's all gone. most of you won't know you have passed the event horizon until it's too late for you.

i hear that herman hesse wrote a story about a guy who found a way out though.... but sitting by the river fishing just doesn't seem like my style... view post

Human Hunger posted 31 July 2006 in Philosophy DiscussionHuman Hunger by gierra, Sorcerer-of-Rank

but here's thing, you can;t judge someone so quickly. what if that hippy driving an SUV works for a company that plants trees, and he needs that large vehicle to transport tools, shovels, staff, etc.? i mean, he probably doesn;t, but maybe.

i don;t so much have a problkem with people driving big gas guzzlers, the gods know i love trucks, i guess it's more that people drive them for the hell of it, not because they need to be able to transport stuff.

at any rate, i hope that by the time people's hunger for new and more and wealth destroys the world, i will be safely living in a cave. (:lol: i almost said cake.) view post

•  

The Three Seas Forum archives are hosted and maintained courtesy of Jack Brown