Three Seas Forum

the archives

dusted off in read-only

•  

Holy War/Crusades similarities posted 02 August 2007 in General DiscusssionHoly War/Crusades similarities by xatantius, Candidate

I always knew Bakker took existing events for the PoN storyline, but I was surprised to what extent. I researched the Crusades recently and found very glaring similarities to the Holy War, aside form the obvious conflict between religions and nations. e.g.
The Byzantine Emperor at the time of the Crusades, Alexius I, made the leaders of the Crusades sign a treaty giving all lands conquered to the Byzantine Empire in exchange for provisions-sound familiar?
The People's Crusade was a 100,000-strong 'army' of peasants, women and old men led by a glory-seeking monk named Peter the Hermit, most of whom were massacred by the Turks and Seljuks-sound familiar?
During the Siege of Antioch in 1097, Bohemund of Taranto bribed a city guard for entrance to one of the city's towers and gained control of the city-sound familiar?
Personally, i think the following seems correct;
Nansur-Byzantine Empire
Galeoth-France
Ce Tydonn-Holy Roman Empire
High Ainon-Italy
Conriya-Britain
Thunyerus-Nordic nations
Kian/Shigek/Gedea/Enathpaneah-Turks/Seljuks/Saracens/Persians

This isn't a criticism of his work, it just seems odd no-one's noticed this before. view post

Holy War/Crusades similarities posted 02 August 2007 in General DiscusssionHoly War/Crusades similarities by anor277, Didact

You can add the Mongols as Scylvendi-analogues. Obviously there are historical parallels (that I think have been noted before), but I would baulk at designating the Ainoni as Italian or the Conriyans as the English. view post

Holy War/Crusades similarities posted 02 August 2007 in General DiscusssionHoly War/Crusades similarities by xatantius, Candidate

I admit, Conriya as England is a stretch, but the Ainoni have many characteristics similar to old Italy-the power and population of their nations, the colour of their skin, the culture of art and high society. Of course, there are probably just as many points to the contrary, so maybe you're right. view post

Holy War/Crusades similarities posted 02 August 2007 in General DiscusssionHoly War/Crusades similarities by coobek, Candidate

Mongols/Native American Indians or Cymmerians - Black hair and blue eyes! view post

Holy War/Crusades similarities posted 03 August 2007 in General DiscusssionHoly War/Crusades similarities by professor plum, Peralogue

I'd also point out that Italy was ruled by sorcerers in the Middle Ages. Game, set, match!

My dad has black hair and blue eyes and he's of Celt/Anglo Saxon stock. If that helps. view post

Holy War/Crusades similarities posted 03 August 2007 in General DiscusssionHoly War/Crusades similarities by Harrol, Moderator

Scott has stated before that the Scylendi are based off of the Scythians/Sarmatians more so that the Mongols. view post

Holy War/Crusades similarities posted 05 August 2007 in General DiscusssionHoly War/Crusades similarities by anor277, Didact

Quote: "Harrol":3fkiqwzi
Scott has stated before that the Scylendi are based off of the Scythians/Sarmatians more so that the Mongols.[/quote:3fkiqwzi]

No doubt, Scott based Scylvendi folkways on the Scythians, but as an all-conquering people of war who were only defeated in battle once or twice, the Scylvendi clearly mirror the Mongols - a people of war with an advanced military machine whose campaigns had devastating effects on Christian kingdoms and Islamic sultanates at the time of the Crusades. view post

•  

The Three Seas Forum archives are hosted and maintained courtesy of Jack Brown