Three Seas Forum

the archives

dusted off in read-only

•  

Harry Potter (don't hurt me) posted 22 July 2007 in Literature DiscussionHarry Potter (don't hurt me) by xatantius, Candidate

Yes, I'm mentioning Harry Potter. I know it might get me in trouble with people who insist its for kids or whatever, but i'm bringing it up anyway. And no, I won't give away any plot details or the ending, coz that is mean, and I order anyone who reads this thread to do the same.
The point of this thread is pretty much to review the last book, out of 10 or whatever way you want to do it. If you want to rate it, PLEASE don't give away any of the plot details for the benefit of other people who haven't read the book yet.
Personally, I give it a 9 for a great ending and for tying up a lot of the loose ends (and for lots of other stuff, but you're gonna hafta read the book for that). view post

Harry Potter (don't hurt me) posted 26 July 2007 in Literature DiscussionHarry Potter (don't hurt me) by anor277, Didact

I don't know why anyone should be ashamed of reading Harry Potter; in my opinion the series is deservedly a classic, and it's certainly the type of novel I would have liked to read when I was younger (and even now when I'm a 30+ geezer). I haven't got the Deathly Hallows yet, though I hear good things.

So far I thought all the novels were strong except for Order of the Pheonix (no. 5?), as it didn't have any of the humour of the other 6 (I know Harry was a troubled adolescent). Anyway, come the weekend I will but it and give you a rating. view post

Harry Potter (don't hurt me) posted 29 July 2007 in Literature DiscussionHarry Potter (don't hurt me) by Jamara, Auditor

I am very unashamedly a Potter fan. The books are great. I am in the process of rereading the series when the last book came out. I have not gotten to it yet, though it is sitting on my coffee table and I can't wait to get to it. However, Anor, I though Order of the Phoenix was chopped full of humour. Mostly on the part of Fred and George Weasley! One of the chapters at the end ("Career Advice") actually made me almost pee my pants! view post

Harry Potter (don't hurt me) posted 31 July 2007 in Literature DiscussionHarry Potter (don't hurt me) by anor277, Didact

I managed to read the novel in the weekend small hours. It is superb, a thrilling read, and a worthy conclusion to a modern classic. I did not think it was going to be that good, 9+.

@Jamara, you are entitled to opinion on the Order of the Phoenix, I simply did not enjoy that novel as much as the others. view post

Harry Potter (don't hurt me) posted 01 August 2007 in Literature DiscussionHarry Potter (don't hurt me) by Curethan, Didact

I admit to being pleasantly surprised by the Harry Potter series. I agree it deserves its place as a classic. The only slight criticism I would humbly offer is that some of the action sequences are rather murky and unclear. I found it exceedingly pleasing that the plotting was always surprising, although it seemed so straight forward. view post

Harry Potter (don't hurt me) posted 08 August 2007 in Literature DiscussionHarry Potter (don't hurt me) by Jamara, Auditor

Just finished the last book. I give it a 9+ as well. It answered alot and kept me wanting to read the next chapter. It was hard to find a place where I could stop and put it down. view post

Harry Potter (don't hurt me) posted 18 August 2007 in Literature DiscussionHarry Potter (don't hurt me) by Zarathinius, Auditor

Also a 9+ from me. Loose ends were wrapped up, although I agree with Curethan that some of the action scenes made my head spin a little bit.

And, to finish it off, a satisfying epilogue to silence all those dirty fanfics out there on the interwebs. view post

Harry Potter (don't hurt me) posted 28 November 2007 in Literature DiscussionHarry Potter (don't hurt me) by noodles0585, Peralogue

i give it an 8.5 soley because i felt though really good and yes a classic some of the logic just didn't seem very logical to me. view post

•  

The Three Seas Forum archives are hosted and maintained courtesy of Jack Brown