Three Seas Forum

the archives

dusted off in read-only

•  

Why did the consult kill xerius? posted 14 July 2007 in The Thousandfold ThoughtWhy did the consult kill xerius? by cloust, Commoner

I don't understand the Consults thinking there. The only think i can come up with is that they wanted a stronger leader (his nephew Conphas) in place so that the Holy War would lose?

The idea being it would mean the end of the Dunyain. But as I remember the Consult already chose not to kill the warrior prophet once, when they went after the the consort instead of him in TTT.

Also in TTT it was revealed the Consult WANTED the Fanim to lose, because somehow the Cishaurim had spotted the skin spies and kicked them out of Shimeh, which the Consult wouldn't stand for.

So... I don't know? Any ideas? What plot line did i miss? view post

Why did the consult kill xerius? posted 14 July 2007 in The Thousandfold ThoughtWhy did the consult kill xerius? by nathaara, Commoner

I'm curious about this also... and how long was the Empress a skin-spy? I keep meaning to look back for clues about when she was replaced, but I haven't gotten to it yet.

I wouldn't be surprised if it was about wanting Conphas as Emperor. Xerius wasn't exactly the most level-headed guy, they might have wanted someone more stable. view post

Why did the consult kill xerius? posted 15 July 2007 in The Thousandfold ThoughtWhy did the consult kill xerius? by anor277, Didact

Quote: "cloust":31vhz3wt
I don't understand the Consults thinking there. The only think i can come up with is that they wanted a stronger leader (his nephew Conphas) in place so that the Holy War would lose?

The idea being it would mean the end of the Dunyain. But as I remember the Consult already chose not to kill the warrior prophet once, when they went after the the consort instead of him in TTT.

Also in TTT it was revealed the Consult WANTED the Fanim to lose, because somehow the Cishaurim had spotted the skin spies and kicked them out of Shimeh, which the Consult wouldn't stand for.

So... I don't know? Any ideas? What plot line did i miss?[/quote:31vhz3wt]

Try this thread for tentative answers: [url:31vhz3wt]http://forum.three-seas.com/viewtopic.php?t=2571[/url:31vhz3wt]

As regard the dowager empress, we have no way of knowing when the Consult replaced her. Probably some short time after Skaeos was revealed. Istriya de jure would have been quite vulnerable to a skin spies; she took young lovers and chose the wrong one. view post

Why did the consult kill xerius? posted 15 July 2007 in The Thousandfold ThoughtWhy did the consult kill xerius? by Curethan, Didact

Hmm, I have read a Q&A with Scott where this question was asked (re: Xerius' mom) and apparently she was a skin spy the whole time (i.e. she was displaced well before TDtcB). view post

Why did the consult kill xerius? posted 15 July 2007 in The Thousandfold ThoughtWhy did the consult kill xerius? by cloust, Commoner

Curethan thats fascinating, because it sort of takes away a bit from the sesxual-hate relationship between the emperor and his mother. So in those books it was the skin spy playing out what the empress would have done.

Thanks for the link to the other thread. I didn't buy the idea that xerius was killed to protect the holy war (he was killed to keep him from destroying it) becuase in TTT i clearly got the message that the Cishaurim had somehow kicked out all the consults spies, which was why the Consult HAD to have them destroyed.

The alternative was the Fanim empire spreading across the three-seas, and ejecting all the consults spies, which was unacceptable to them.

The other idea, that the skin spy was forced to kill xerius becuase he inadvertantly felt her erection seems more plausible. But then again why didn't the skin spy just run away? Why kill xerius when it went against the consult's wishes? view post

Why did the consult kill xerius? posted 15 July 2007 in The Thousandfold ThoughtWhy did the consult kill xerius? by Curethan, Didact

By the time that Xerius was killed, Kellhus had taken control of the holy war and I think that the Consult was aware of the link between Mo and Kellhus. I think u need to look at the assasination in the context of the Consult's chang in knowledge and therefore objectives. view post

Why did the consult kill xerius? posted 16 July 2007 in The Thousandfold ThoughtWhy did the consult kill xerius? by professor plum, Peralogue

Quote: "Curethan":3da9mj0o
Hmm, I have read a Q&A with Scott where this question was asked (re: Xerius' mom) and apparently she was a skin spy the whole time (i.e. she was displaced well before TDtcB).[/quote:3da9mj0o]
Makes sense. I just reread TDTCB and there's a passage of Xerius's internal monologue in which he notes that something about Istriya's face looks wrong, or different. At another point he makes the same observation about Skeaös.

Incidentally, elsewhere Esmenet has the same feeling about Sarcellus. So it would seem that normal people naturally pick up on the same subtleties of face — or, rather, the lack thereof — that Kellhus has been trained to read. view post

Why did the consult kill xerius? posted 07 November 2007 in The Thousandfold ThoughtWhy did the consult kill xerius? by Callan S., Auditor

Quote: "cloust":20bpe35a
The other idea, that the skin spy was forced to kill xerius becuase he inadvertantly felt her erection seems more plausible. But then again why didn't the skin spy just run away? Why kill xerius when it went against the consult's wishes?[/quote:20bpe35a]
Skin spies sexuality is only sparked when they are going to kill. It had an erection because it had been sent to kill. view post

Why did the consult kill xerius? posted 09 December 2007 in The Thousandfold ThoughtWhy did the consult kill xerius? by Hear Me Roar, Candidate

This has been vexing me for a while

(How rude, I am Hear Me Roar, from the GRRM site, but I love PoN)

I have a hard time believing she was a skin-spy the whole time. All that said, I still dont' get why Xerius was killed. For all the skin-spy stuff, besides the Thing called Sarcellus, who was an immediate threat? It seams the Consult was way more into observing, so why the sudden murder here? view post

Why did the consult kill xerius? posted 10 December 2007 in The Thousandfold ThoughtWhy did the consult kill xerius? by Harrol, Moderator

I always thought it was due to Xerius discovering its male organs and therefore it had little choice but to kill him. view post

Why did the consult kill xerius? posted 29 December 2007 in The Thousandfold ThoughtWhy did the consult kill xerius? by Mandati Wannabe, Candidate

I'm not sure about why they acutally killed the emperor, but Bakker hints at her being a skin spy, if you re-read tDTCB. Recall in TTT when Kellhus has everybody whose behavior seems different brought before him to determine they're a skin spy.... Almost every time we have a scene with Xerius and Istriya, Xerius notes something about her that is different. He does attribute these 'flaws' to her age, but when is Xerius really correct about anything? view post

•  

The Three Seas Forum archives are hosted and maintained courtesy of Jack Brown