Three Seas Forum

the archives

dusted off in read-only

•  

Quotes posted 28 July 2004 in Off-Topic DiscussionQuotes by Wil, Head Moderator

I thought it would be fun to collect quotes that we either come up with or hear. Ane we can talk about them too.

This is from The Big Bounce:

God is only an imaginary friend for grown-ups view post

Quotes posted 28 July 2004 in Off-Topic DiscussionQuotes by Kingslayer, Candidate

"He who does not read has little advantage over he who cannot read"
-Mark Twain view post

Quotes posted 28 July 2004 in Off-Topic DiscussionQuotes by Grantaire, Moderator

"Conviction is the enemy of truth."

"The limits of my language are the limits of my world." view post

Quotes posted 30 July 2004 in Off-Topic DiscussionQuotes by Grantaire, Moderator

Oh, and another.

"every instant of time is a pinprick of eternity, passing and easily changed"
by Marcus Aurelius (I think that's the quote at least) view post

Quotes posted 05 August 2004 in Off-Topic DiscussionQuotes by steve, Peralogue

'That which comes before determins that which comes after'

sorry I think I misspelled determins, I am a terrible speller,

Isn't this quote from TDTCB, I can't remember view post

Quotes posted 06 August 2004 in Off-Topic DiscussionQuotes by Aldarion, Sorcerer-of-Rank

Translated, my sig quote says: Everyday is Monday. view post

Quotes posted 11 August 2004 in Off-Topic DiscussionQuotes by JustifiedHeretic, Peralogue

"Everybody falls down, that's life, it's how fast you get back up that counts."

and

"Drive it through, because backing up now would be next to impossible"

and from..

Bad Religion - All There Is "There's space for a paper airplane race in the eye of a hurricane, and if pigs could fly then surely so could I, but this pedestrian knows better then to even try, and my divinity is caught between the colours of a butterfly." view post

Quotes posted 12 August 2004 in Off-Topic DiscussionQuotes by Alric, Auditor

My new quote line is something my wife actually said after I made Bacon and Eggs for breakfast this morning.

"Bacon is the ambrosia of meats." ~ my wife.

I almost fell over I was laughing so much. view post

Quotes posted 15 August 2004 in Off-Topic DiscussionQuotes by drosdelnoch, Subdidact

Funnily enough around Veggies Bacon or chicken is the most likely to get veggies back into meat eating (if I feel bad I buy a chickem Kebab and stuff it in front of my better half who's veggie, needless to say I get made to feel worse for inflicting that sort of torture on her. Then watching thier faces as the smell of honey smoked bacon sweeps through the house is also a highlight.)

"The Ballot is mightier than the Bullet" Abe Lincholn (Wonders if he ever changed his mind?)

"Lets Shave him" Shrek 2

"Anne Robinson looks like Harry Potter in Drag" a tv critic view post

Quotes posted 29 August 2004 in Off-Topic DiscussionQuotes by AjDeath, Didact

"Love is a promise delivered already broken."-Steve Martin

This might be the closest thing to the "truth" I have ever heard. view post

Quotes posted 31 August 2004 in Off-Topic DiscussionQuotes by Scarred, Candidate

Quote: "JustifiedHeretic":1fshs974

Bad Religion - All There Is "There's space for a paper airplane race in the eye of a hurricane, and if pigs could fly then surely so could I, but this pedestrian knows better then to even try, and my divinity is caught between the colours of a butterfly."[/quote:1fshs974]

Just to tell you, I love Bad Religion, kudos on your taste in music.

Heres some shameless self promotion, lyrics I wrote for my band (yet to be implemented in a song):

"Life is successful failures, Gambling on our trust."

And one from R.E.M:

"Everybody hurts....sometimes."

Rita Mae Brown:

""A life of reaction is a life of slavery, intellectually and spiritually. One must fight for a life of action, not reaction."

Thats all Ive got for now. view post

Quotes posted 26 September 2004 in Off-Topic DiscussionQuotes by AjDeath, Didact

"There is nothing like your own shit to make you realize how much you stink." Thomas Aquinas.

'What if everything is an illusion and nothing exists? In that case, I definitely overpaid for my carpet." Woody Allen. view post

Quotes posted 14 October 2004 in Off-Topic DiscussionQuotes by mulch, Commoner

Bessie Braddock to Churchill: Winston, you're drunk!
Churchill's comeback: Bessie, you're ugly, and tomorrow morning I shall be sober. view post

Quotes posted 01 November 2004 in Off-Topic DiscussionQuotes by Voland, Candidate

What was sleep, efter all, but the process by which we dumped our insanity into a dark subconscious pit and came out on the other side ready to eat cereal instead of the neighbour's children from Darkly Dreaming Dexter by Jeff Lindsay.

We must respect the other fellow's religion, but only in the same sense
and to the extent that we respect his theory that his wife is beautiful
and his children smart.

It is hard to believe that a man is telling the truth when you know
that you would lie if you were in his place.

Philosophy consists very largely of one philosopher arguing that all others are jackasses. He usually proves it, and I should add that he also usually proves that he is one himself. :p

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.

The above by Henry Louis Mencken view post

Quotes posted 01 November 2004 in Off-Topic DiscussionQuotes by AjDeath, Didact

Quote: "Voland":11h126q2

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.

The above by Henry Louis Mencken[/quote:11h126q2]He is the man. view post

Quotes posted 05 March 2006 in Off-Topic DiscussionQuotes by Warrior-Poet, Moderator

“In our school you were searched for guns and knifes on the way in and if you didn't have any, they gave you some.”

-Emo Phillips

Ive brought a long dead post back. view post

Quotes posted 05 March 2006 in Off-Topic DiscussionQuotes by mr nobuddy, Candidate

Every quote from this site:[url:2bur566s]http://www.kbuxton.com/discordia/discordianquotes.html[/url:2bur566s]

this one is my favorite: "The truth of a proposition has nothing to do with its credibility." view post

Quotes posted 05 March 2006 in Off-Topic DiscussionQuotes by Kidruhil Lancer, Auditor

"Religion is the bane of human progress. Through religion we are force fed the outdated delusions of our forefathers, and made to toil beneath the belief structure of a long-dead society. Relgion makes us slaves, and forges our chains from the emotions that drive us. Belief in any higher power must transcend religion. Belief must be an open-ended progression toward enlightenment. No man or woman must be given the power to say 'I speak with the voice of God'. No soul can be trusted with the authority to condemn a fellow soul to damnation. For these reasons above all others, religion must be stamped out wherever found, and replaced by the clean reasoning of Belief."

"Truth is many things. A whore on the lips of a liar. A knife to the weak minded. A weapon to a cunning noble. But no incarnation of Truth bears as much power as that which takes shape on the tongue of a prophet. It becomes a fire, which soon sets a thousand hearts ablaze."

--

The last one goes hand in hand with PON. view post

Quotes posted 06 March 2006 in Off-Topic DiscussionQuotes by Warrior-Poet, Moderator

“Mothers are fonder than fathers of their children because they are more certain they are their own.”
-Aristotle

“If at first you don't succeed, try, try again. Then quit. There's no point in being a damn fool about it.”
-W.C Fields

“He hoped and prayed that there wasn't an afterlife. Then he realized there was a contradiction involved here and merely hoped that there wasn't an afterlife.”
- Douglas Adams

“Religion is what keeps the poor from murdering the rich.”
-Napoleon Bonaparte

Which is possibly the most correct. view post

•  

The Three Seas Forum archives are hosted and maintained courtesy of Jack Brown