Three Seas Forum

the archives

dusted off in read-only

•  

Is Bakker a huge fan of Frank Herbert? posted 20 June 2007 in Off-Topic DiscussionIs Bakker a huge fan of Frank Herbert? by non-Ajencis, Commoner

I ask, because the Prince of Nothing just reeks of Herbert and Dune.

I don't think he is being derivative, well, maybe a little, but I see a lot of similarities in the way the two authors write.

Nevermind a few devices that seem to be lifted straight out of Dune.

Not complaining, mind you. It works very well for me, and others it would seem. view post

Is Bakker a huge fan of Frank Herbert? posted 20 June 2007 in Off-Topic DiscussionIs Bakker a huge fan of Frank Herbert? by Warrior-Poet, Moderator

Yes, I believe Scott addresses the influence Herbert had on his writing somewhere on the board. view post

Is Bakker a huge fan of Frank Herbert? posted 20 June 2007 in Off-Topic DiscussionIs Bakker a huge fan of Frank Herbert? by Harrol, Moderator

Most definately. Scott gives Frank's infuences their credit. view post

Is Bakker a huge fan of Frank Herbert? posted 26 June 2007 in Off-Topic DiscussionIs Bakker a huge fan of Frank Herbert? by anor277, Didact

Just on this topic, I think Scott has said somewhere that the Skinspies were an obvious homage to Herbert's Facedancers. As regards Bakker's ability as a writer and storyteller versus Herbert, I think most of us could agree that the pupil has far excelled the teacher. view post

Is Bakker a huge fan of Frank Herbert? posted 26 June 2007 in Off-Topic DiscussionIs Bakker a huge fan of Frank Herbert? by Jamara, Auditor

As to the original question - who isn't? view post

•  

The Three Seas Forum archives are hosted and maintained courtesy of Jack Brown