the archives

dusted off in read-only

•  

Kellhus - a tool of the Gods or just a tool? posted 08 Jun 2007, 12:06 by Curethan, Didact

I have been re-reading the series and I came upon a startling tidbit that I thought to share. In TDtCB, when he and Cnaiur take Serwe into their group, Cnaiur is raping her when Kellhus experiences a feeling of outrage. He wonders where this comes from, and subsequently his instruction in mastering the 'legion within' is related. This flashback basicly shows how the dunyain master the emotions that 'come before' and that to fail this lesson would result in death. Given that Kelhus has not been away from Ishual long enough for his conditioning to lapse, we can be fairly sure that this is not a flaw in his training or the breakdown thereof. Serwe - from the outset - sees Kellhus as the instrument of the outside, and it is the circumfixion (i.e. her death) that defies the perception of logos and seemingly transforms Kelhus... This small event that I completely missed the first time around casts a lot of differrent light on other aspects of the story for me. I wonder if it slipped past many others, or if you think there is another explanation? view post

posted 08 Jun 2007, 13:06 by professor plum, Peralogue

Man. I think I'm going to have to go read TDTCB again. view post

posted 08 Jun 2007, 23:06 by Harrol, Moderator

Great point Curethan but in TTT Moenghus explains that all Dunyain experience the vestiges of feeling. Kellhus all along felt the vestiges of feelings but did not recognize them as such. That is why he has become partially deranged like his father told him he was. I think Kellhus truly believes he is the instrument of the God but if he really is remains to be seen. view post

posted 09 Jun 2007, 06:06 by Curethan, Didact

Thats the perception I had too, Harrol. But the flashback scene with the Pragma describes how the Dunyain master these emotions by dominating them, not eradicating them. If their control of their 'legion' is not absolute, they will fail, and will not survive the labyrinth. The Dunyain understand their emotions, or they would not be able to manipulate those who are ruled by emotion the way they do. It is the fact that they control their emotions absolutely, not the other way round that enables understanding and use of the logos. Here's the passage, I was referring to; "Kellhus watched while the Scylvendi took her again. With her whimpers, her suffocated cries, it seemed the ground beneath slowly spun, as though the stars had stopped thier cycle and the earth had begun to wheel instead. There was something . . . something [i:3dq063zl]here[/i:3dq063zl], he could sense. Something outraged. From what darkness had this come?" In subsequent scenes throughout the series, there are mysterious happenings that may or may not relate to the outside/ the god/s - all involving the earth... the earthquake that precedes the holy war's march, the ground of mengeda that shades men's dreams and spits up bones, the way that Kellhus talks to the earth itself late in TTT.... It's interesting to note the subtle shadings that colour our perceptions of the story in the re-reading, and whether or not things like this really offer insight into the ultimate direction of the tale, its one of the many fine details that makes this series a modern classic in my eyes, rather than just another fantasy serial. view post

posted 09 Jun 2007, 21:06 by Harrol, Moderator

Wow Curethan that was a great point. view post

•  

The Three Seas Forum archives are hosted and maintained courtesy of Jack Brown.