Three Seas Forum

the archives

dusted off in read-only

•  

For a US Reader -- posted 14 July 2004 in The Warrior ProphetFor a US Reader -- by Rellion, Candidate

I recently had the pleasure of reading TDTCB, from Overlook Press, here in the US. I cannot praise Dr. Bakker enough on how good I felt that this book was, and I am glad to have read it.

I must compliment the cover artist on the dust jacket work, for that's what drew me to the single copy of it on the Barnes and Noble shelf while looking for a new book to add to my library. Opening it up and reading the synopsis and the Author Bio on the back flap, I thought, 'Hmm, a fantasy novel by a Ph.D. in Philosophy. This sounds interesting.' Lo and behold, it was.

What I would like to know (and excuse me if this is a repetitive question, but I did not see the answer for it when looking initially), is when The Warrior Prophet will be available in US release? Living in Texas, it's not easy for me to cross the border, go to a bookstore, and procure my own. Being a US reader, I suppose I'm fairly spoiled by having most novels I've read released (and their subsequent sequels) to the US market first most of the time.

All I know is that after reading the first volume, I am eagerly anticipating reading the second. view post

For a US Reader -- posted 14 July 2004 in The Warrior ProphetFor a US Reader -- by Jernau Morat Gurgeh, Candidate

Several of my favorite authors get published in the UK or Canada first. For new releases try amazon.ca for Canada, amazon.co.uk for UK releases. I ordered my copy of TWP from amazon.ca and have already received it.

For out of print, first editions, etc (for example, the Canadian TP of TDtCB) try <!-- w --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.abebooks.com">www.abebooks.com</a><!-- w -->.

Gurgeh view post

For a US Reader -- posted 14 July 2004 in The Warrior ProphetFor a US Reader -- by Rellion, Candidate

What's the difference, cost-wise, between purchasing a Canadian edition from Amazon.ca versus the normal hardback from a bookstore? I was able to get the Overlook edition for $25.95 at Barnes and Noble. Would it be substantially more, especially considering shipping and customs? view post

For a US Reader -- posted 14 July 2004 in The Warrior ProphetFor a US Reader -- by Jernau Morat Gurgeh, Candidate

I paid $18.20 CDN for the trade paperback of TWP (there was no HB first edition) and $9.98 for standard shipping, which took about 3 business days plus the weekend to arrive. The total is roughly $22 American.

TDtCB was more expensive, since the first edition is out of print. I found a copy on abebooks.

Gurgeh view post

For a US Reader -- posted 15 July 2004 in The Warrior ProphetFor a US Reader -- by Sovin Nai, Site Administrator

Moved to TWP forum due to nature of discussion. view post

For a US Reader -- posted 15 July 2004 in The Warrior ProphetFor a US Reader -- by Sovin Nai, Site Administrator

<!-- w --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.bn.com">www.bn.com</a><!-- w --> is also good for out of print books, though I'm not sure about Canadian titles. view post

For a US Reader -- posted 15 July 2004 in The Warrior ProphetFor a US Reader -- by Clarkesworld Books, Peralogue

I may be able to help some fellow US fans. A friend of mine is bringing back a small pile of them for my store. I may not see him for a few weeks, but there is hope. Haven't been able to find a bookstore that would help me import them in larger quantities yet, but I'm not giving up.

-Neil view post

For a US Reader -- posted 15 July 2004 in The Warrior ProphetFor a US Reader -- by Clarkesworld Books, Peralogue

Correction... he showed up today and surprised me. I now have a few copies of this in stock. Should be cheaper than importing yourself.

-Neil view post

For a US Reader -- posted 20 July 2004 in The Warrior ProphetFor a US Reader -- by Rellion, Candidate

Neil,

I just ordered a copy of the TPB of TWP from your website. Thanks! view post

For a US Reader -- posted 22 July 2004 in The Warrior ProphetFor a US Reader -- by Clarkesworld Books, Peralogue

Thanks guys! Just trying to do my part to get this series the attention it deserves. Of course, the ultimate would be to have all the books available signed....

-Neil view post

For a US Reader -- posted 26 July 2004 in The Warrior ProphetFor a US Reader -- by Orion_metalhead, Auditor

Quote: &quot;Rellion&quot;:205mswe3
I recently had the pleasure of reading TDTCB, from Overlook Press, here in the US. I cannot praise Dr. Bakker enough on how good I felt that this book was, and I am glad to have read it.

""""""""I must compliment the cover artist on the dust jacket work, for that's what drew me to the single copy of it on the Barnes and Noble shelf while looking for a new book to add to my library.""""""""""" Opening it up and reading the synopsis and the Author Bio on the back flap, I thought, 'Hmm, a fantasy novel by a Ph.D. in Philosophy. This sounds interesting.' Lo and behold, it was.

What I would like to know (and excuse me if this is a repetitive question, but I did not see the answer for it when looking initially), is when The Warrior Prophet will be available in US release? Living in Texas, it's not easy for me to cross the border, go to a bookstore, and procure my own. Being a US reader, I suppose I'm fairly spoiled by having most novels I've read released (and their subsequent sequels) to the US market first most of the time.

All I know is that after reading the first volume, I am eagerly anticipating reading the second.[/quote:205mswe3]

i agree with you. i was getting annoyed at seeing books with nothing but dragons or ugly looking men in plate mail. a nice oppurtunity to view a book with a dark, though inviting cover. view post

For a US Reader -- posted 03 August 2004 in The Warrior ProphetFor a US Reader -- by Rellion, Candidate

BTW, just a little feedback to Neil from Clark's World...

The book arrived in great condition, well packaged, and in good time. I'm very happy with my purchase, and recommend Clark's World to anyone needing the second book. Thank you! view post

For a US Reader -- posted 03 August 2004 in The Warrior ProphetFor a US Reader -- by Sovin Nai, Site Administrator

Maybe we should make Clarke's World the Official Bookstore of this site? I wonder if we can do that. view post

For a US Reader -- posted 03 August 2004 in The Warrior ProphetFor a US Reader -- by Aldarion, Sorcerer-of-Rank

He does have an affiliate program, where a percentage of money can be returned to the sites that host a banner for his site.

And let me second the recommendation. I received my copy of Erikson's limited-edition novella, The Healthy Dead, plus the second issue of Argosy a couple of days after shipment. Arrived in great condition and I certainly will be purchasing some hard-to-find books from there in the future. view post

For a US Reader -- posted 04 August 2004 in The Warrior ProphetFor a US Reader -- by Sovin Nai, Site Administrator

But I don't want ads on the site. Wil and I have decided this site will never carry ads because we both hate them on other sites. view post

For a US Reader -- posted 04 August 2004 in The Warrior ProphetFor a US Reader -- by Aldarion, Sorcerer-of-Rank

Maybe as a link, say as to "Bookstore"? I guess you could email Neil Clarke and ask, or he might see this sometime in the next few days and respond.

But I'd imagine creating a link to his site would still get around the ad issue. I understand - I have things set on wotmania to be ad-free because of my Admin account there. view post

For a US Reader -- posted 07 August 2004 in The Warrior ProphetFor a US Reader -- by Clarkesworld Books, Peralogue

WOW! I'm quite flattered by all this talk and really glad that people appreciate the work I've been doing. You've made my week!

I don't care for ads on sites either. The look of this place is very nice, clean, and consistent. Ads would muck it up. Still, there are ways within the forums to do things. You could set up a special "support our forum" topic with affiliate links. You could co-sponsor contests. Review a book? Link to it. etc etc Text links can also be made low key, or you could simply use the book covers as direct links for purchase.

One of our best affiliates is Malazan.com. Most of you have been there, so you've seen how they've included us. On the flip side, I've mentioned them to a lot of people and occasionally put them in the monthly note I have on the web site. I also changed my sig there to point to their affiliate link. A significant portion of their sales come from my link.

Anyhow, if I'd be quite honored to be connected to this place in some official way. I've already gotten my ego boost from you guys, so if this doesn't happen... no problem. I'll keep selling these books and posting when I can think of something worthwhile to say.

Thanks all!

-Neil view post

•  

The Three Seas Forum archives are hosted and maintained courtesy of Jack Brown