Three Seas Forum

the archives

dusted off in read-only

•  

Favorite Quotes of the Prince of Nothing posted 31 March 2007 in Off-Topic DiscussionFavorite Quotes of the Prince of Nothing by DietCoke23, Commoner

"Madness knows no bridle but the knife" view post

Favorite Quotes of the Prince of Nothing posted 31 March 2007 in Off-Topic DiscussionFavorite Quotes of the Prince of Nothing by Trutu Angotma, Peralogue

"i have not the depths to comprehend him" view post

Favorite Quotes of the Prince of Nothing posted 31 March 2007 in Off-Topic DiscussionFavorite Quotes of the Prince of Nothing by Sokar, Auditor

I like lots of them..unfortunately I don't have the copy with me where I underlined some of these...

In any case, I was laughing from this one for a long time (not sure if it is a direct quote):

"Men are like dogs, they sniff with their eyes."

Edit: I'll try to post some more with the copy in hand... view post

Favorite Quotes of the Prince of Nothing posted 31 March 2007 in Off-Topic DiscussionFavorite Quotes of the Prince of Nothing by Warrior-Poet, Moderator

Where the holy take men for fools, the mad take the world.
--Protathis, The Goat's Heart

They strike down the weak and call it justice. They ungird their loins and call it reparation. They bark like dogs and call it reason.
--Ontillas, On the Folly of Men

... and my soldiers, they say, make idols of their swords. But does not the sword make certain? Does not the sword make plain? Does not the sword compel kindness from those who kneel in its shadow? I need no other God.
--Triamis, Journals and Dialogues

If all human events possess purpose, then all human deeds possess purpose. And yet when men vie with men, the purpose of no man comes to fruition: the result always falls somewhere in between. The purpose of deeds, then, cannot derive from the purposes of men, because all men vie with all men. This means the deeds of men must be willed by something other than men. From this it follows that we are all slaves.
Who then is our Master?
--Memgowa, The Book of Divine Acts

The vulgar think the God by analogy to man and so worship Him in the form of the Gods. The learned think the God by analogy to principles and so worship Him in the form of Love or Truth. But the wise think the God not at all. They know that thought, which is finite, can only do violence to the God, who is infinite.
It is enough, they say, that the God thinks them.
--Memgowa, The Book of Divine Acts

The Poet will yield up his stylus only when the Geometer can explain how Life can at once be a point and a line. How can all time, all creation, come to the now? Make no mistake: this moment, the instant of this very breath, is the frail thread from which all creation hangs.
That men dare to be thoughtless ...
--Teres Ansansius, The City of Men

All from The Warrior-Prophet, which truly has the best quotes out of the three books. The last three are particular favorites of mine, especially the last. view post

Favorite Quotes of the Prince of Nothing posted 04 April 2007 in Off-Topic DiscussionFavorite Quotes of the Prince of Nothing by TheDarkness, Peralogue

here is one that i just came across, might not be my favorite but it definately resonates with me

"Some events mark us so deeply that they find more force of presence in their aftermath than in their occurance. They are moments that rankle at becoming past, and so remain contemporaries of our beating hearts. Some events are not remembered--they are relived." view post

Favorite Quotes of the Prince of Nothing posted 05 April 2007 in Off-Topic DiscussionFavorite Quotes of the Prince of Nothing by Harrol, Moderator

The truth are knives and we are all his cut. view post

Favorite Quotes of the Prince of Nothing posted 07 April 2007 in Off-Topic DiscussionFavorite Quotes of the Prince of Nothing by avatar_of_existence, Peralogue

don't have the book on me, so this quote may not be exact:
"If soot stains your tunic, dye it black. This is revenge." view post

Favorite Quotes of the Prince of Nothing posted 13 April 2007 in Off-Topic DiscussionFavorite Quotes of the Prince of Nothing by Delazar, Commoner

"measure is unceasing"

and then the one Cnaiur says in front of all the War Council at the end of the first book... now i don't have the book with me, but i think it went like:

"WAR is the place were the iron bones of earth meet the hollow bones of MEN, and break them!"

priceless... view post

Favorite Quotes of the Prince of Nothing posted 20 September 2007 in Off-Topic DiscussionFavorite Quotes of the Prince of Nothing by slh_2000, Commoner

When one pisses on the water, one pisses on one's own reflection. view post

Favorite Quotes of the Prince of Nothing posted 06 November 2007 in Off-Topic DiscussionFavorite Quotes of the Prince of Nothing by Starrs, Commoner

"Some events mark us so deeply that they find more force of presence in their aftermath than in their occurance. They are moments that rankle at becoming past, and so remain contemporaries of our beating hearts. Some events are not remembered--they are relived."

PG. 207 from The Darkness That Comes Before. So far has to be one of the best things I have read. view post

•  

The Three Seas Forum archives are hosted and maintained courtesy of Jack Brown