Three Seas Forum

the archives

dusted off in read-only

•  

Free Will posted 29 November 2007 in Philosophy DiscussionFree Will by Lucky Sevens, Candidate

Perhaps choice is more the recognition of an individual the potential to act, or not act, independent of the probability of taking that action and any attributable causes behind it. view post

Free Will posted 02 December 2007 in Philosophy DiscussionFree Will by jub, Peralogue

Quote: "Israfel":33zogeyp
Essentially mine is a conception of action in which the consciousness has a choice to make, and can genuinely decide which way to go.[/quote:33zogeyp]

Determinism doesn't try to refute this; it accepts that we make a choice, it just dennies we would have made any other choice given the exact same circumstances. view post

Free Will posted 02 December 2007 in Philosophy DiscussionFree Will by Israfel, Peralogue

Then there's no genuine choice or decision being made, because everything about the decision is predetermined - it's saying that our consciousness runs down predetermined paths, so there is no way that person can genuinely make the decision to do another thing. Therefore determinism can't say that the consciousness has a choice and a genuine decision to make. Our consciousness might believe that it has the decision, but would not actually have it if there was never any possibility that another action would take place.

The idea of a genuine decision nowhere enters determinism, because by the model you give, we must accept that past habits of thinking and information of which we are aware completely control how our thoughts will go and which decision we will make. This is clearly not compatible with the idea of a genuine choice to be made by our consciousness; In that case our consciousness is like a cog in a machine that can only turn one way given the pressures put on it. I'm struggling to see how one would conceive of this as anything resembling an actual choice (beyond the simple impression that you're making a choice). view post

Free Will posted 02 December 2007 in Philosophy DiscussionFree Will by Lucky Sevens, Candidate

While it is easy to point out examples that have taken a deterministic course, I think that proving 100% causality (i.e. no external influences or errors) is impossible. As it was pointed out, we do not need to have full control over every thought we have in order to have choice, just a slight nudge in one direction or another. If something such as a "soul" that can influence the paths of electrical charge in the brain exists, it would allow for this possibility.

My point is that as long as there is error, there can be no meaningful discussion of determinism's authority. view post

Free Will posted 30 December 2007 in Philosophy DiscussionFree Will by Mandati Wannabe, Candidate

Gnostic Christianity believes that both the free will and predestination are incorrect, as they are products of human reasoning, which is inherently limited. Thus, are we even capable of determining the true nature of the universe? view post

Free Will posted 16 January 2008 in Philosophy DiscussionFree Will by jub, Peralogue

Christianity believes in a whole lot of crap view post

•  

The Three Seas Forum archives are hosted and maintained courtesy of Jack Brown