Three Seas Forum

the archives

dusted off in read-only

•  

Marvel and The Dark Tower posted 22 March 2007 in Off-Topic DiscussionMarvel and The Dark Tower by TheDarkness, Peralogue

So Marvel has come out with a new series of Comics based on the main character in the Dark Tower series Roland Deschain. I Have heard that it has been very succesful. I want to pick it up, has anyone been able to get their hands on one and if so what do you think?

I loved the Dark Tower and am a little worried about a comic, King had his input on the series but did not do the writing. The series has been written to flesh out more adventures of the mysterious gunslinger and his past, It could be a great series and I am anxious to see how it starts!!! view post

Marvel and The Dark Tower posted 25 March 2007 in Off-Topic DiscussionMarvel and The Dark Tower by Buckethead, Peralogue

i have a friend who is excited about that as well, although i didn't read past the second book of the series, as an avid comic book reader i can almost undoubtably guarantee you MARVEL will find some way to screw it up.
worst comic book company ever.

he's probably got one already... i'll ask him about it. view post

Marvel and The Dark Tower posted 25 March 2007 in Off-Topic DiscussionMarvel and The Dark Tower by TheDarkness, Peralogue

cool thanks!

so what is you favorite comic? why does marvel suck? thats upsetting because this story has a ton of potential!! view post

Marvel and The Dark Tower posted 26 March 2007 in Off-Topic DiscussionMarvel and The Dark Tower by Jamara, Auditor

Quote: "Buckethead":2w0am9df
MARVEL will find some way to screw it up.[/quote:2w0am9df]

That's not entirely fair. Stan did give us the X-Men. view post

Marvel and The Dark Tower posted 26 March 2007 in Off-Topic DiscussionMarvel and The Dark Tower by Buckethead, Peralogue

exactly... he did give us the x-men....

(granted i enjoyed them before i became an adult...) view post

Marvel and The Dark Tower posted 26 March 2007 in Off-Topic DiscussionMarvel and The Dark Tower by Buckethead, Peralogue

Marvel historically has worked differently from other comic book companies in that the dialogue is not usually written by the writers of the book. they give the letterers and artists vague descriptions of character development and let them insert what they want. Thus you end up with soap opera quallity comics... much like good movies vs. soap opera television... those who enjoy things like the x-men, the avengers, the hulk... are somewhat comparable in the comic book world to those who listen to radio pop in the music world, or WWE wrestling in the sports world. It's totally fine, if you are looking for entertainment and not concerned with depth or development, but i assume that since so many speak so highly of the dark tower series those things wouldn't be comparable.

as for good series? anything with a final issue, an impending final issue or ending storylines is a first clue that it's been written, drawn or created bywriters and/or artists that have some sort of vision. I personally love anything by tony millionaire, &quot;sock monkey&quot;, or &quot;maakies&quot;(if you want to, i suggest you hit <!-- w --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.maakies.com">www.maakies.com</a><!-- w --> you can see every maakies strip in existence). mike mignola, the creator of &quot;hellboy&quot; is an unbelievable artist and storyteller (please forget about the movie). A favorite series of mine was &quot;automatic kafka&quot; by ashley wood (who does beautiful artwork) and joe casey. although it failed to sell to anyone more than myself i believe. &quot;american splendor&quot; by harvey pekar. if you don't know what this is, it's okay to see the movie, it was very well done. i could go on forever. view post

Marvel and The Dark Tower posted 26 March 2007 in Off-Topic DiscussionMarvel and The Dark Tower by Jamara, Auditor

Oh, I definitely agree with you Buckethead, though I do have to give Marvel props for the Krueger/Ross Earth X series. I thought that was fantastic. And mostly I liked the art at Marvel, not so much the stories. Jim Lee, McFarlain, Sam Kieth and many others before their mass Exodus. view post

Marvel and The Dark Tower posted 27 March 2007 in Off-Topic DiscussionMarvel and The Dark Tower by Buckethead, Peralogue

SAM KEITH!!! awesome. the maxx, zero girl, ojo... all great.

admittedly i still own far too many marvel comics....
that's how i know this.

i still haven't gotten rid of the damn things... view post

Marvel and The Dark Tower posted 29 March 2007 in Off-Topic DiscussionMarvel and The Dark Tower by Buckethead, Peralogue

i spoke to my friend about it... he said it seems okay and also that the story is not written by stephen king, but it was approved by him. also that king actually approached marvel and not the other way around. apparently the story seems to be rehashing a little bit from a telling of rolands' past from within the wizard and the glass. view post

Marvel and The Dark Tower posted 29 March 2007 in Off-Topic DiscussionMarvel and The Dark Tower by TheDarkness, Peralogue

Right, I expected as much. I had read that King was not doing the writing, boo. But it will be interesting to see what direction this takes anyways.

Ya that King approached Marvel doesnt suprise me. King must be planning a colony on the moon the way he pumps out money making schemes. view post

•  

The Three Seas Forum archives are hosted and maintained courtesy of Jack Brown